Forum > Rolemaster

Players always choose AT 4 or AT 12

(1/5) > >>

Dreven1:
HI all,
I am in a bit of a quandary. All of my players started wearing heavy hides (AT4).  They have surmised that it is the best all around at, it does not restrict, it doesn't cause spell failure, it is the most protection without affecting DB or combat.
Has anyone else noticed this trend? Am I to just accept this and let them all choose this AT? They showed me the chart, it crits less and higher up on the chart EVEN better than AT 9.
Dont even get me started on how pitiful at 5 - 8 are compared to AT4!
and no one...NO ONE chooses to wear AT2.  I dont even know why it is in there if folks can just opt to use AT1.

Thank you for any advice!

jdale:
AT 3, 4, 11, and 12 are superior to other armor... because they aren't armor. They are natural animal armor, when part of the animal. As such, they assume a degree of mobility that exceeds what a suit of armor made from animal hide would have. And for 11 and 12, also probably a thickness, especially at joints, that is not practical for a person to wear.

RMSR says, page 289:
Note: Armor types 3, 4, 11, and 12 are animal armors, natural body coverings with no normal armor equivalents. One cannot achieve such an AT without acquiring some enchanted and specially designed armor (e.g., magic fell beast skin).

So, generally speaking people shouldn't be buying them, and if you have introduced a way to do so, they should be priced according to their significant value.

Dreven1:
Hi Jdale,
Great response! Thank you.  I did just that.  I allow for skinning of magical beasts. So, everyone has a +50 skinning knife, a few ranks in skinning and then someone usually has leatherworking to a high degree.
This, I believe, allows for the tanning of hides into bolts/raw hides to then allows someone to craft magical beast armor.  They pay an armor smith 20 to 30 gold (which is a kings ransom in my game) to get those suits made.
Because they run around in the wilderness and we do random encounters (yup its a thing in my game that they absolutely love), they run across beasts with AT4 constantly.
So, I have kinda backed myself in a corner with this.  I'm not sure how to gracefully get out of it while not making them feel they wasted development and time with skills and equipment to do exactly what I let them do.
I appreciate your feedback!

jdale:
These armors have natural advantages. I guess you could ask what kinds of manufactured advantages they can get in other armors for the same price and trouble (or perhaps for a higher price?), do they need to become better. Might be a bit of an arms race though.

Jengada:

--- Quote from: Dreven1 on February 17, 2024, 10:01:21 AM ---Hi Jdale,
Great response! Thank you.  I did just that.  I allow for skinning of magical beasts. So, everyone has a +50 skinning knife, a few ranks in skinning and then someone usually has leatherworking to a high degree.
This, I believe, allows for the tanning of hides into bolts/raw hides to then allows someone to craft magical beast armor.  They pay an armor smith 20 to 30 gold (which is a kings ransom in my game) to get those suits made.
Because they run around in the wilderness and we do random encounters (yup its a thing in my game that they absolutely love), they run across beasts with AT4 constantly.
So, I have kinda backed myself in a corner with this.  I'm not sure how to gracefully get out of it while not making them feel they wasted development and time with skills and equipment to do exactly what I let them do.
I appreciate your feedback!

--- End quote ---
That armor smith could charge them in skins, and then start selling that armor to everyone in town. I agree, it would be unfair to have built a scenario where the players have spent many development points and then make that useless. But either +50 skinning knives are fairly common, and others have them, or a prime target for a thief to go after. And once everyone's running around in AT 4 and AT 12, things even out somewhat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version