Author Topic: Question about HARP combat  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Jakob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Otherland Bookshop - The No. 1 Adress for Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror and Role-Playing Games in Berlin, Germany
Question about HARP combat
« on: November 25, 2022, 11:23:33 AM »
I'm still kind of a HARP newbie (for years now), since I've read the core rules and Cyradon, but really never got to use either at the table - and I also don't have any HARP supplements besides Folkways, which is great but very nearly a system-agnostic sourcebook.

The one thing I'm not so sure about in HARP is the Critical Tables - I kind of feel like they maybe take a step too far in reducing the complexity; when playing MERP, it actually never bothered me to make an additional roll for the Crit, and I think HARP combat might become same-ey, at least at the higher levels when characters will regularly hit their weapon's max result and therefore end up with the same crit again and again.

Is that actually a problem? And if it is, does "Martial Law" bring something to the tabel to solve it? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it features Hit Locations, and also alternative rules for armor - does that help to change things up?

I*m just debating with myself whether I should get Martial Law, and getting an idea of how it expands criticals would be really helpful!

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
Re: Question about HARP combat
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 05:47:40 PM »
Martial Law adds hit locations. The critical charts each have a column for each of the hit locations. The range of rolls covered is the same as the core book. The system is still a single roll to determine the outcome.
Hit locations included are:
        Head & Neck
        Hands & Arms
        Legs & Feet
        Chest & Back
        Abdomen & Groin

Hope that helps.

Offline Jakob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Otherland Bookshop - The No. 1 Adress for Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror and Role-Playing Games in Berlin, Germany
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 07:43:29 AM »
Thanks! That sounds like what I imagined, so I guess I'm going to get ML.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 11:18:08 PM »
ML is a great sourcebook for HARP but the combat tables for that are not as great as they sound. I have developed a combat system for HARP that is sort of a mix of the combat systems for both and it uses the Rolemaster crit tables. There is a section in agreeing to the NDA and you can gain access, but the mods rarely check in to approve people. If you do agree to the NDA and are able to get into to see the files note that I have been working on an improvement to them, but I have not been able to play HARP now for a few years so the progress has stopped.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 09:50:05 PM »
I used the alternate combat an everyone loved better than the original combat (mutiny about the regular was at foot)
ML is a great sourcebook for HARP but the combat tables for that are not as great as they sound. I have developed a combat system for HARP that is sort of a mix of the combat systems for both and it uses the Rolemaster crit tables. There is a section in agreeing to the NDA and you can gain access, but the mods rarely check in to approve people. If you do agree to the NDA and are able to get into to see the files note that I have been working on an improvement to them, but I have not been able to play HARP now for a few years so the progress has stopped.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 10:37:24 PM »
I used the alternate combat an everyone loved better than the original combat (mutiny about the regular was at foot)
That's awesome, I am glad you've enjoyed it!
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Kirsa

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 06:57:43 PM »
If you dig long enough you will find no less than four different HARP combat systems. Try them all and see what you think. :/
Core Book, Martial Law, Harper's Bazaar #11, The NDA one, and I think there is one I am forgetting. I will have to go look.

Offline Kirsa

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 03:12:51 AM »
Hack and Slash from 1st ed ... and a sixth I think. The sixth was based on that other game so each weapon had damage dice. I will keep looking.

Offline Kirsa

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023, 03:20:16 AM »
Ah - the Life Point system from the Harper's Bazaar Annual 2005 - though it isn't a complete replacement. OK, I think that is all. I think. Maybe.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 04:12:28 AM »
For the record, RMU does have RM-style criticals and hit locations. Beware that RMU also introduces a number of battle conditions, like for instance staggered that are new to ICE games.
/Pa Staav