Forum > Rolemaster

Shield Skill

(1/8) > >>

vroomfogle:
I've always wanted to there to be a shield skill, but didn't want it to be a required skill either.    So based upon the idea of the tumbling evasion skill, how about this?

Anyone can use a shield using the static DB bonuses given in the book

A Shield skill (1 Shield skill can be used with any type of shield) can be used to make a dedicated Shield Block instead of attacking (e.g. Shield Block is 60% activity).   Use the Medium column on the MM table and apply the result to the DB.     Different size shields can either use a different column (e.g. Wall Shield is an Easy maneuver) or give a bonus to the roll (the way the tables are designed these are nearly equivalent).

I'm not sure about the specifics.   If one uses the Tumbling Evasion or Adrenal Evasion skill then you'd want to the Shield skill to be easier to use as it requires an object.

Another possibility is to be able to use the Shield skill while attacking (e.g. a 10% or 20% manuever), but use the Absurd column.     This would give someone skilled in Shield to get additional benefit out of the Shield, though while sacrificing some offense.    Though it would also increase the chance of a fumble/failure as well, so may not be used in all cases.

Thoughts?

Ecthelion:
You've started a similar thread Shield Training some months ago. Doesn't it make sense to continue in that thread?

vroomfogle:
ha, I forgot all about that.    Regardless that was in the Revision discussions which are Read Only now.     But I'll have to read through that thread to remind myself what I wrote and everyone else's ideas!

munchy:
Excellent, I'm not the only one that is happening to. I've got quite a few threads started with "I know I've asked this before but I can't find the thread anymore"  ;D Mostly I've got the excuse that those threads are to be found in the old forums.

Rasyr-Mjolnir:
Idea for a shield use skill --

Without skill, character gets 1/2 normal shield bonus; full shield if doing nothing more than defending himself.

With skill, character gets 1/2 shield bonus to DB, and may attack with shield bash. If fully defensive (like sai), gets full shield bonus, +1 per rank in shield skill. This is called a "block". Character may not "parry" with shield (too large and bulky and mis-shaped for such).

Just a suggestion....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version