Forum > General Discussion

Randomly Rolled Backgrounds

(1/3) > >>

markc:
  What do people think of randomly rolled backgrounds for PC's, such as in games like Warhammer? Do you like it? Do you hate it? Do you use it or let the players roll twice and pick which one they want?

Thanks
MDC

providence13:
Most of my players really skip on background info. But I use it for NPCs.
Generally, they hate being told what to do. :o

GrumpyOldFart:
I generally try to get players to develop the background before they roll the character, rather than the other way around. Bend the chargen rules to fit the character concept instead of bending the character concept to fit the chargen rules.

arakish:
I completely agree with GOF's method of doing it.  I prefer letting the player's generate the character they want to play instead of forcing a character they don't want to play.

However, I also give the players full license on generating their characters as long as it remains within the world setting guidelines.  If a player wants to totally randomize everything about his/her character and play with what s/he rolls up, then I generally let them do it.  Basically, I provide such tables mostly for idea generators for their characters.

In other words, I do not force players to do anything they do not want to do.

rmfr

markc:
 I agree with you in that I do not like random rolls for big PC background options.
Thanks all
MDC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version