Author Topic: Bladerunes question  (Read 2590 times)

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Bladerunes question
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:04:37 AM »
Hi to all Folks!!
I've got one question: in the Bladerunes spell list (RoCo I p 17 "Basic Principles"), the text said " the basic chance for a non-magic item to receive a Bladerune is 10% per non magic plus. For magic items it's 20% per magic plus. If the Bladerune fails to implant....".
But with these high % how the implant can fail?
If the text is right, a non-magic +10 weapon has 100% to implant (10% per non magic plus...) and a magic + 5 weapon has 100% to implant...
Can You explain this?
Tank IOU!!!
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Bladerunes question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »
1) The basic idea is that it is more difficult to imbed bladerunes in items of lesser quality.

2) Accordingly, non-magical items or items with no bonuses cannot receive bladerunes at all. (i.e. you cannot put them on any given).

3) This is actually a second chance at failure (i.e. failing while casting the spell being the first), so it does not need to be identical to other chances of failure.

4) The way that it is setup, only exceptional weapons can receive bladerunes.

5) RM uses open-ended rolls as a standard, unless it says otherwise. While the "Basic Principles" do not specify, I would presume that the roll is open-ended, and thus, there is actually a chance to roll outside the given percentage chance.

6) Conversely, you could always rule that there is always a 1% chance of failure, regardless of the total percentage.

7) Remember also, those Basic Principles are basically defining the principles that the author used in writing the spell list. If you disagree with those principles, then as GM you can change them to match your vision. (for example, I have never used that percentage chance - we always allowed the bladerunes to be imbedded on any weapon that the caster wanted.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:44:48 AM »
black flag, that was an erratum, addressed in Appendix C of the Spell Users Companion, question 2.

Concerning the Bladerunes list of RMCI, when you talk of base chances of having an item receive a Bladerune cast upon them you base that chance upon each magic or non-magic "plus". Does each "plus" equal a "+5" bonus or a "+1" bonus?
Whoops! The RMCI author was slipping back into his D&D roots. Each "plus should equal "+5". A +5 sword has a 20% chance of taking a Bladerune, not 100%
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 05:52:34 AM »
Thanks OLF -- I had forgotten completely about that errata as well (and thus was going from what was in RoCo I).

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:04:25 AM »
Tank IOU both ;)
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&