Author Topic: Jaiman Map  (Read 8705 times)

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
Re: Jaiman Map
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 12:47:13 PM »
I had some numbers for France at a time...

IIRC there 20% more wooded areas now than there was at the Revolution time. It's mainly due to two facts :
- the end of the use of wood for the fires ( cooking and heating )
- the European Union Common Farming Policy... which gives money to farmers that puts fields into unused reservation land. Fields which after a few years of being left to the wild returns to wooded land.

Also there's the whole Landes area ( near Bordeau ) that was wooded 150 years ago fix the sand dunes and sanitize the area.
And woods like the Forêt de Tronçais  that was planted by Vaubon at Louis XIV time so that his successors at the head of the Royal French Army could build a fleet of ships.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 03:40:55 PM »
And woods like the Forêt de Tronçais  that was planted by Vaubon at Louis XIV time so that his successors at the head of the Royal French Army could build a fleet of ships.

Isn't this the forest that was planted because of the deforestation the occurred to build ships?
That, isn't this one of the 'planting of trees' intended so there would be tress in the future for the shipbuilding?
[Many ships of the line required the wood from *thousands* of mature oak tress to build a *single* ship.]
But wooden ships were 'old news' by the time many of the trees in these forests had grown enough that they could be used in the construction of ships.

DonMoody

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 02:21:04 AM »
Iceand used to be completely covered by forrests, look at it now... Wood as fuel, building materials for houses and ships and possibly some errosion as well.
Greece used to have a lot of forrests as well but they kept a lot of sheep to make wool. Greece were a superpower when it came to wool. To make a long story short, sheep + errosion = a lot of rocks.

Man can definately make a great impact on the forrests.

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:48 AM »
Iceand used to be completely covered by forrests, look at it now... Wood as fuel, building materials for houses and ships and possibly some errosion as well.

I'd suggest looking to Easter Island for an island whose culture was devastated/lost because of 'human excess'.

By the time Europeans first encountered the Rapa Nui, the Rapa Nui essentially had no vessels capable of deep water travel.
Yet they were aware of reefs hundreds of miles off the coast.
Over time, the inhabitants of Easter Island had cut down the trees faster than the trees could regrow.
Eventually, there no trees large enough to built the deep water vessels of the type/style their ancestors had used to come to the island.

Today, Easter Island is almost completely deforested and has been so for at least the last quarter millennium or so (dates for original settlement vary from 300 to 1200 AD - although the time of overpopulation which led to the ecological difficulties is estimated at less than 500 years, even with the earliest date of human arrival, the time from colonization to a culture/civilization which was reasonable advanced to decline due to 'loss' of an environment able to sustain the populace is scarily short).
The majority of the original flora and fauna which were present on the island when humans first arrived are now extinct.

DonMoody

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 03:06:39 AM »
Of course, woodcutters in a fantasy setting would have to cope with dangers that no-one in the Middle Ages would have encountered. Sure, forests were dark scary things, full of goodness only knows what, but no matter how scary they were, it was hardly likely that a tree would take offence to you trying to cut it down and beat you to death with your own axe. Various forest "protectors" would mean attempts at tree cutting on a large scale would likely often need an armed guard.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Kurgath

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2009, 06:23:55 AM »
I actually liked the forest symbols.....reminded me of the old original Hobbit and LOTR maps in the books.

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 02:48:58 PM »
My latest version of this map has been selected as the map of the month at the Profantasy blog:

http://simonjrogers.livejournal.com/tag/profantasy

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2009, 03:39:24 PM »
And you deserve it! Look really amazing! Excellent work!

Will the player's guide contain a high-resolution map that allows zooming?
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Quasar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2009, 10:01:17 PM »
Really awesome map. CC really has come a long way as a tool too.

Though I will admit I'd much prefer a map that actually shows the forests. Or perhaps that would be better on smaller scale maps, like the old 1" = 20mi style maps.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:06:27 PM by Quasar »

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 11:45:17 AM »
I was wondering whether you will add cities to your map as well or publish one version with cities and roads. I would really love to have those two versions in the Player's Guide. Hope work progresses just fine.
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »
Thanks for kind words.  Munchy - sorry for the delay in answering your first question.    My intention was to break the continent up into 4 quadrant maps, but I also wanted to include a large page in the PDF with the map on it .... say 13x19 or so.   You could zoom in or print in large format this way, plus Acrobat (or at least the newer version of it) also allows breaking up a large page into multiple pages for printing.

The cities and roads are already on one of the map layers...in fact there are actually layers:   Major Settlements/Roads, Minor Settlements/Roads, Major Labels, Minor Labels.    The player guide will definitely have more info than the map above though probably not all the settlements at least the major ones.    There's also a layer for "Places of Interest - PCs" and "Navigator Obelisks" which it may contain as well.

All of the GM versions of maps may be published in some other product, but Nicholas, Terry and I have yet to talk about that details of that.   I'm picturing some sort of Gazetteer that will just be renders of all the different maps.    Another idea I was considering was to have a series of Incorrect maps - that is I'll move around some cities, goof with roads, maybe even move around some natural terrain features some to generate several maps that are wrong that could be handed to players when they purchase a cheapo map in some backwater town or from a city shyster.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 04:22:06 AM »
The layer system is a really cool idea. Cannot wait to get my hand on that product! The tiniest villages are probably not what we need but the major cities and roads as well as the obelisks would be REALLY helpful.

I like the idea of the wrong maps, although I have to admit I haven't really worked with handing out maps a lot so far. Still, sounds interesting.

Keep up the good work!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Wrathchild

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 11:00:35 AM »
Sounds really good Vroomfogle :). Looking forward to it.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »
That sounds perfect.  I had done that with a map of my own creation, but lacking skill and patience it produced mixed results.....I can see you are much better than I am already
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline mrjamesbond

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
You guys are great!

;)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 06:19:01 AM »
Any news on this matter or will it be part of the GC project on Shadow World?
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 07:35:45 AM »
Any news on this matter or will it be part of the GC project on Shadow World?

I would expect that it will become a GCP project as part of our ongoing efforts to revitalise Shadow World.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline mortenskog

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 05:03:53 AM »
Hello Vroomfogle

I am starting a new Shadow World campaign set in Jaiman. I am desperately looking for some detailed maps of the land and cities. Can anyone help?

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »
Hi mortenskog, welcome to the forums.

Looks like my previous attachments were deleted probably during a clean-up.    I will dig out the main Jaiman map tonight or tomorrow and repost, but it will just be a basic map (although more detail than the one in the Jaiman book).

Hoping to get back to doing some maps over the next year.

Offline mortenskog

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 05:05:59 AM »
Really appreciate it. It will probably help alot. If CC3 wasn't so damn expensive I would create one myself.   :)

thank you