Author Topic: Opinions on Circles wanted  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
Opinions on Circles wanted
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:12:15 PM »
 We are using RM2 and comps. In Comp 2 under Circle Mastery there are multi-circle spells. Spells that alow different circles to overlap an area without canceling eachother out.

My question is, if say a Multi-circle III is used and each circle is against Essence Magic, would that still only have a -100 for Essence magic to work within the circle (also increseing the ESF range) and 3 seperate RR's (1 for each circle) for a Essence spell to attack someone outside the circle?

I know Multi-Circles are designed to use a group of Circles to try to cover all the bases. i.e. one vs Essence, one vs Demons, and one vs Evil.
 But, what if all 3 were for the same thing? I dont really see the Circles stacking as a penality for the traped being, but if it breaks the first Circle, it would just have 2 more Cricles to go through.

How would (or do) you rule it if all 3 were the same? Thanks. ;D
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Opinions on Circles wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:28:34 PM »
One rr per circle.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 07:51:16 AM »
Ok.  My opinion is that circles are too round.  ;D
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 08:34:08 AM »
The text says that Multi-Circle allows you to combine the effects.

To me this says that if the circles are the same, then the combination of identical effects is going to be an averaging of those effects.

In other words, multiple circles with the same effect do NOT increase or alter the RR modifiers involved. And as yammahoper says, they still have to make 1 RR per circle.

Offline Archangel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 10:11:25 AM »
what about attacking from different angles. 1 circle vs essance, 1 vs Humans. and 1 vs evil/good. would the effective penilty by -300%?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 10:44:04 AM »
what about attacking from different angles. 1 circle vs essance, 1 vs Humans. and 1 vs evil/good. would the effective penilty by -300%?

No. Each circle would be resolved separately. The main purpose of the "multi-circle" spell is to allow the circles to overlap without canceling each other out. This allows for multiple effects in a single area. Combining the RR Mods should NOT be done!

Offline Archangel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:45:09 AM »
I'm trying to work out consistency. If circle effects don't stack then why do other negatives. Say fighter X has been a battle for 10 rounds. he has taken 75 of his 100 HP in damage, the last of which was a critical that gave him a negative 15% to act and stun for 2 rounds (I'm making this up as I go ). the next hit does a few points of damage and an A crit that results in a stun and unable.

OK so for the next round he is at a negative for:
stun+unable+-15 to act+ a negative for exhaustion.
here you have physical hindrance, disorientation, and resource depletion

like the protection circles these negatives are a result of an unnatural influence in the environment.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »
Okay, my last answer was a bit off apparently. If you look closely, you will see that I was speaking specifically of RR Modifiers, while what was being asked was about Maneuver Modifiers that are part of the effects of the circles/spells. (i.e. I answered the wrong question).

If the spells give maneuver modifiers (and circles CAN give such), then yes, THOSE will stack if not resisted. However, those modifiers are NOT automatic. The target(s) must fail their RRs for those modifiers to apply to them. And that means 3 RRs, one against each of the 3 circles.

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 05:00:57 AM »
 So what is the penality to act (not escape) for a Demon in a Multi Circle II  of Vs Demons and Vs Evil?
 Asuming the Demon has already failed his RR against both circles and is just sitting there.
 If the Circle is large enough would the Demon have a -100 or -200 to juggle?
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 05:51:19 AM »
So what is the penality to act (not escape) for a Demon in a Multi Circle II  of Vs Demons and Vs Evil?
 Asuming the Demon has already failed his RR against both circles and is just sitting there.
 If the Circle is large enough would the Demon have a -100 or -200 to juggle?

Presuming that the circles are radiating inwards, and that the demon has failed both of his RRs, and that he fits in the area covered by both circles, then his maneuver modifier will be -200.

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 09:43:25 PM »
 We have played past this concern in our scenario, but, I was wondering......

If a 50th Lvl NPC uses a Multi-Circle V and all are vs. Humans.....
 Then a PC who fails a save and ends up in said Multi-Circle has a -500 to cast a spell (we ALWAYS use ESFs) and a -500 to any manuver that requires a roll.

How far would you take it?

Would the PC need a RR to stay awake? to think coherently?

Just curious. ;D
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 01:01:21 AM »
For your answer, turn to the Movement and Mnv Table.

Sometimes I demand a mnv roll to walk after being wounded.  I use the routine column.  You will find that in order to stop a PC in his tracks, big penalties are required as even large negative numbers still result in being able to move 10% to 30% of base rate.

A minus 500 will stop a PC cold and result in the worst possible result unless he has remarkable skill, open ends, etc.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.