Author Topic: Weapon Class  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Jachra

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Weapon Class
« on: July 15, 2008, 05:07:25 AM »
There's a bit of uncertainty about what the different weapon class bonuses mean.

That is, I think it means a heavy weapon gets a flat +10 OB, but the others would like me to check.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Weapon Class
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:16:33 PM »
Can you give me a page #, book and rule system? That way I can check and see exzactly what rules you are using.

MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Oldgrue

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 12:48:36 PM »
My money is that they're referring to the Vehicle manual (p124) regarding the bonuses for vehicle cannons and (p46) how to determine their max results.  The missile salvo chart (p48) doesn't reflect the same bonus per mark.

I couldn't find references to weapon marks in Blaster law, but I do recall something similar in CyberSpace so inquiring minds want to know.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
 It could also be from SM2 as they use MK#'s to rate there handheld weapons. But as you see it can come from many sources so it is best to get a system and page # if possible or at least as much info as possible.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 02:59:01 PM »
In SM2 the attack tables show damage tresholds as function of the Mk number. Different tables are Laser, Blaster, Projectile ...

In SM:P each weapon is available in a different version: Light, medium and heavy. On the attack tables heavy weapons get +10, light weapons -10. For each attack type there are two tables ... [Assault] and ... Pistol; Weapon Data shows which weapons used the table and some further information.

This is out of the basic book, Blaster Law might change things ...
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Nimzog

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 08:20:57 PM »
There's a bit of uncertainty about what the different weapon class bonuses mean.

That is, I think it means a heavy weapon gets a flat +10 OB, but the others would like me to check.

if you're talking about the hunting class (I, II, III) then it's at page 20 of blaster law, you get a bonus against large and bigger creature and condtruct
The name is Zog... Nimzog!
                     At your service....

Offline Jachra

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 07:51:48 PM »
Sorry, been away from the computer for some time.

And, no... in Privateers, Equipment Manual, and Blaster Law, guns are referred to as Light, Medium, or Heavy.  This is seen on all the weapon price and gun attack tables in Privateers, in the Privateers equipment tables in Blaster Law, and in the price tables and Tech Level tables in Equipment Manual.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 04:58:14 AM »
 If you are talking about the I, II and III on page 44 of the SMP:EM then it does refer to the hunting class of the weapon and the bonus that it gets towords large and super large creatures.

Now if you are talking about the Bonus number for a weapon like on page 44 under a tech 29 heavy assault balster in which it gives a +145. The +145 is a bonus to the to hit roll because the weapon is more powerful than the weapon chart allows. You could think of it as a more powerful beam, better armor penatration etc, but since there is some "value" that a "bolt" or shot from a weapon cannot excede then the weapon gets a bonus to attain that damage result.

Does that help? If not please give me a page # and line and I can get you the answer you need.

Thanks
MDC

Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Jachra

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 09:48:41 PM »
Here we go.

It's on page 200 (and, indeed, all the non-primitive projectile attack tables) of the Core book.
Light -10, Medium 0, Heavy +10, Support x2 damage x5 range, blah blah.
At a guess, this is a straight up OB bonus because it's more powerful, aye?  A simplified version of the Blaster Energy et all, for those who can't get the other books.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 11:18:46 PM »
Here we go.

It's on page 200 (and, indeed, all the non-primitive projectile attack tables) of the Core book.
Light -10, Medium 0, Heavy +10, Support x2 damage x5 range, blah blah.
At a guess, this is a straight up OB bonus because it's more powerful, aye?  A simplified version of the Blaster Energy et all, for those who can't get the other books.

Jachra,
 Thanks for the page # and book. I can say now that yes the info in the main book is for use with the condensed weapon charts in the main SM:P book. But if you use the charts from SM:P BL, RMSS:FA or SM:P EM you do not add the bonus in as it is allready adjust for the specific chart.
 Another way of saying it is that if you use once chart for all laser weapons then you use the adjustments as in the main SM:P book there was just not enough room to fit all the individual weapon charts.
 And as you said the modifiers makes each weapon class diferent from the others.

As a GM I use the indavidual charts from SM:P BL, SM:P EM, RMSS: AL and RMSS: FAL, not the one fil all chart. Also there were some fixes to the charts in SM:P and they are available in the vault. If for some reason they are not there then you can go to R. Defindi's website and he has the charts there for download.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.