Author Topic: What about infections, gangrene and blood poisoning... ?  (Read 2792 times)

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
What about infections, gangrene and blood poisoning... ?
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:58:53 PM »
Now, I have no problem with the way combat, healing and wounds are solved in the core rules or the supplements that I possess, but I wonder.
Hygiene is important when treating wounds (but also long term hygiene). Concussion hits and penalties heal naturally, with no chance, as of today, of getting infected; rusty weapons, animal saliva and bad hygiene would or at least could result in infections, beyond what the system covers today, as far as I know anyways.

I know it?s fantasy, but still. Is there anyone on these boards with rules for this? Complications with natural healing (even herbal healing, not spells of course/perhaps) such as the above mentioned?

I don?t have a complete or very well thought through idea or proposition for this, but at least adding a function to the heal skill, which covers cleaning the wounds, which could be separate to the actual putting on of bandage, herb and other remedies/first aid equipment (such as a set leg with a splint). Also, depending upon activity, chances of infection, which should be varying degrees in correspondence with type and severity of wounds.

Any ideas? Has this been discussed before? Anyone? Anything?
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline Cloven-Fruit-Games

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What about infections, gangrene and blood poisoning... ?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 02:42:55 PM »
Use the internal poison chart.
Use the maneuver chart to determine if the area is infected (good chance of infection gives the disease a bonus on the poison chart, less chance gives a negative).
Stamina RR to fight off infection or lower chance of such.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 03:24:32 PM »
Basic, simple, good.
I like.

Thanks.

If anyone else has an idea, please, I?d like to see how different people would do this, I intend to make it into a house-rule, perhaps a bit more, dare I say "complicated"?, because I like it and feels it adds yet another layer, of appreciated detail, to an already great game!
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 06:20:59 AM »
In addition to the idea of Cloven-Fruit-Games, a Healing-Roll could be used with the bonus-column. The RR itself represents only natural healing and chance. A good healing roll (resulting in a bonus or malus for the RR) could represent correct tending to the wound, including hygiene. A bad (unwashed) healer might worsen things.
Could even add roleplaying facettes. "What? This crook is a healer? He stinks! Don't let him near me!

:)

"What's in the box?" - "Pain."

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 08:25:12 PM »
That is the idea janpmueller, make hygiene something the characters (and players) will want to appreciate, or at least learn to appreciate.
It could be harsh, but an idea springs to mind that depending upon days/weeks since last wash, amount of combats participated in (i.e. how many combats, how long combats, as in number of rounds and such), the healer and the patient(s) get cumulative bonuses and/or penalties (moving up and down in difficulty), something like -2 levels, washed this morning, 2 rounds combat, but healer has been traveling for four weeks with no water for cleaning and has participated in several melees, hence a +4 in difficulty, making it a total of +2 levels from default (-2+4=+2), which would result in, stating that medium is the default difficulty, that the hygiene healing roll has a penalty of a Very Hard maneuvre (if I remember the levels correctly), a -40 I believe.(?)

Of course the numbers here are completely taken out of the emptiness in front of my tired head, but you get the general idea yeah?

This together with Clove-Fruit-Games? idea could work pretty well I think.
Thoughts? Ideas?

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff