Author Topic: Storms in Space?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Storms in Space?
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:17:22 PM »
 I do not have a lot of info about events in space, but are there storms in space? Or are there mearly radiation events like sun spots?

If there are storm events how do you handle them?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Storms in Space?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:31:16 PM »
Over a certain level of tech, you probably wouldn't experience anything the ship can't handle without an issue.  The radiation and particle sleet you experience at faster than light should be a lot more violent than anything you'd experience naturally (at least in the normal course of events).

Of course, there are always supernovas and the like.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:59:10 PM »
Boy that was fast. I went and read some stuff else where. And boom there was an answer.

Anyway thanks. I think that I want some type of "storm" to be a factor in starship travel. I think maybe the FTL drive in my game should create an unstable state that has a chance of causing problmes or is affected by some unknown factor or events. But the FTL tec is so very very useful and important that people have to use it.
 As important as this is I also think that it cannt be too overpowering a fact as to prevent common trade, commerce, travel, exploration or military actions. But the thought of it happening should happen almost every FTL event. I could do this by equipment problems or unknown equipment failures but I think I would liek something more than that.

Thanks
MDC

BTW, I have been reading up on sensor rules in many different systems products but most of them are fairly general without going into exceptions to sensor use. The big one I see if using most standard systems [not any magic particles] is increase in background radation, particle density increase [to retard laser based or light based systems] or some change in the sensor itself. [For example a floding array retracting etc.]
 Is there anything else any can fill me in on that might impact sensors?

Thanks
MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:41:45 PM »
In SM large particle events can cause enough quantum disturbance to mess with sensors.  The galactic supermassive black hole, for instance, can cause problems.  Not enough to make them useful, but enough to allow people to sneak up on you if they aren't putting out signals and you aren't careful.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 12:04:40 AM »
D,
 I think that is what I am looking for. Or I might just downgrade sensors in general so you see just a blip and get no info unless they want you get some info. IMO it also makes things a little less clean and sparkaly during game time. A lot of unknowns can make for a very interesting game play ans options for the players to take advantage of or have to deal with.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:15:34 AM »
You could have Sensors work sorta along the same way sonars on subs work. The tech way but how it works from the crew point of view on gaining information.
Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 12:36:25 AM »
 I have seen some ok rules as I said but they are very strait forward and function in normal game terrain. ie they do not go the extra mile and present situtaions in which they would not function as well. Now I do not blame them as it is hard to include everything in a product and also to be fair I have not read every game out there and how they deal with this fact.
 They also do not have the exzact range of tech levels I need so I am thinking of expanding them for my purpose. IE I need more differentation at smaller incriments which will lead to large bonuses or penalties at small tech incriments. I am thinking of going by a tenth based tech level system and I think it will give me the range and bonues I need as well as provide a good reason to try and upgrade systems and stay away from front line military starships, SDB and remote drones.

It is going to be some time I think before things get going but I may have to drop out of a group I play in to start the game. We have a large group that meets every week except for some and we have two differnt campaigns going. Very different in almost everyway. And I know that some are not so hot about RM/SM/HARP, but the good news is there are lots of gamers here so I should be able to find a group if I have to.

Thanks
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Oldgrue

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 01:23:26 PM »
I'm fond of sensors being pretty blind at longer ranges.  Sensors on a ship need to be pretty hefty anyway to do a useful spherical sweep and filter all the data.

If you hold to the submarine/sonar parallel you could allow this pretty easily.  Passive sensors limit the data that they can get (enough for basic navigation), and active sensors get significantly more, but alert the locals to the PCs.  An interesting way to let piratical types know their trap is sprung.

If your physics treats string theory as valid, an understanding of string theory beyond the player culture (super science in a super science game?) could allow the ship in question to be more resistant to sensors (like a shuttle through a loom).

As for 'storms' I can't see why a particle cloud couldn't form and your PCs move through it - charging their hull and playing havok with their sensors for a while.

Retarding laser based communications is easy - a metal/silica cloud would easily cause further troubles and spark curiosity.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 04:51:12 PM »
Oldgrue,
 Thanks I have been reading up on sensor rules from othe systems and I could see how some of ther tech could be used to scatter laser based systems. I also think I have a good system for space combat with hexes being worth 10 incriments and using another hex mat to handle close combat. It also allows for a bigger play area and more unknows. It also helps that a person in my group has a 8' by 4' custome map to fit his big table that we use.
MDC   
Role Play not Roll Play.