Author Topic: Mind control vs monsters?  (Read 2840 times)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Mind control vs monsters?
« on: May 25, 2008, 09:07:53 AM »
Do you allow mind controll spells to be used on monsters?
We've allways considered dragons, giants, Trolls, Liches... to be intelligent as in sentient. As troll is still dumb as a doorknob...
I guess this could be anything from confusion to mindslave.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Mind control vs monsters?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 07:42:40 AM »
I allow "Type M" (mental attack spells) to be used on anybody except animals, vermin, constructs, and monsters with an IQ under 5. 
Obviously, in the case of mentally attacking a dragon, please remember that the Great Drakes have access to the "Dispelling Ways" spell list.  Also, Dragons have a long memory and are likely to come looking for the person who charmed them.  Likewise with Liches.

Most trolls and ogres have an IQ of 10 to 50 (according to C & T).  This makes them just smart enough to mentally dominate.

If you don't allow mental attacks on monsters, then the "Spirit Mastery" list and the entire Mentalist profession would be relegated to heavy roleplaying campaigns.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that  ;D)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:21:06 AM »
We allow Type M spells on any creature which has an intelligence greater than "NO" listed in C&M.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:29:30 AM »
Cool.  ;D
Meet my pet dragon (Mind slave true), he likes being scratched behing his ears...

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 06:29:08 PM »
Cool.  ;D
Meet my pet dragon (Mind slave true), he likes being scratched behing his ears...

Similarly, Dragon smiles and says, "Meet my pet village full of ornery villagers." (Local Dragons did such and Quested the villagers to,

"As long as you draw breath, you shall do all you can to prevent any Adventurers from reaching the milefort. They are not welcome in your Inn or your houses. You shall give them no sustenance, healing or
information. They are but bandits to be driven away, vermin to be squashed. Do you UNDERSTAND?!" The wild-eyed villagers nodded frantically.

Ciao,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 08:31:38 PM »
Goose and Gander tends to lead to so many game balance benefits . . . .

Dragon, unless it just hatched, or was released from a sealed area, has had a LOOOONG time to tamper with people, monsters and animals in the vicinity of it's lair.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com