Author Topic: TGC: A Stone Golem and Elementals  (Read 2857 times)

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
TGC: A Stone Golem and Elementals
« on: April 04, 2008, 04:21:07 AM »
I just read the April release of TGC (I really liked this one) and have a few questions regarding the Construct Toolkit:

1) First of all I really like the fact that the mind is an imbeded spirit. However this could be very setting specific. In some worlds Golems may be mindless machines who can only fulfilll a simple task (e.g.: guard this door) but are not level 1. Will there be rules for this standard kind of Golem. So, not starting at level 1 but for example 10 (like the Iron Golem in the HARP book) or is this a different approach and has to be done without the Construct Toolkit but with the normal Monster creation rules from M:AFG.

2) I'm a bit irritated by the fact that parts of the Golem depend on his level/ranks (stamina resistance roll) and other could be bought with creation levels (OB and Hits). Is there a reason behind this, wouldn't it be easier to use the creation level to determine everything physical? Also the Stamina RR and maybe other pure physical skills like e.g. Jumping?

3) I read int the Words of the Wise that rules for Elementals will be introduced in Something Wicked. There are already rules for them in HB#5. Will the rules stay compatible or will they be changed?

Thanks in advance for answering the questions - and I'm really looking forward to Something Wicked and the Construct Toolkit.
Wolfram

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: TGC: A Stone Golem and Elementals
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 05:08:29 AM »
I just read the April release of TGC (I really liked this one) and have a few questions regarding the Construct Toolkit:

1) First of all I really like the fact that the mind is an imbeded spirit. However this could be very setting specific. In some worlds Golems may be mindless machines who can only fulfilll a simple task (e.g.: guard this door) but are not level 1. Will there be rules for this standard kind of Golem. So, not starting at level 1 but for example 10 (like the Iron Golem in the HARP book) or is this a different approach and has to be done without the Construct Toolkit but with the normal Monster creation rules from M:AFG.

Most Golems and Constructs will have an imbedded spirit. In Construct Companion, there was a way in which the spell caster could put a shadow of his mind into the entity instead. That will be possible in Construct Toolkit.

2) I'm a bit irritated by the fact that parts of the Golem depend on his level/ranks (stamina resistance roll) and other could be bought with creation levels (OB and Hits). Is there a reason behind this, wouldn't it be easier to use the creation level to determine everything physical? Also the Stamina RR and maybe other pure physical skills like e.g. Jumping?

There's the way in which Construct Companion handles the matter in Rolemaster (so everything is in creation levels) and how monsters are created in HARP. Part of the problem is that there isn't really a hard and fast way of deciding what the level of a creature should be in HARP - because the very decision of what its level is decides how high its OB, DB (from Survival Instinct), RRs, etc. and hence its deadliness, leading to a chicken and egg situation. It is something I have to figure out as there'll be new demons in Something Wicked as well.

3) I read int the Words of the Wise that rules for Elementals will be introduced in Something Wicked. There are already rules for them in HB#5. Will the rules stay compatible or will they be changed?

The chapter on Elementals is next on my todo list for Something Wicked, so perhaps I'll have a definitive answer by the next TGC editorial.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: TGC: A Stone Golem and Elementals
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 06:24:17 AM »
In Construct Companion, there was a way in which the spell caster could put a shadow of his mind into the entity instead. That will be possible in Construct Toolkit.
Perfect.

And for the rest... thanks for the answers - can't wait to read more about the two projects!