Author Topic: Stats of 102+  (Read 4680 times)

Offline bocklin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • You wouldn't want to hurt me, now, would you?
Stats of 102+
« on: December 20, 2007, 03:02:46 PM »
Hi folks,

Sorry to post for the first time with what might seem like a powergamer's question, but...

From what I see of table 05-03 in ChL (RMC), page 56, it is considered possible to have Stats of 102+ Additionally, from my good old Companion III I also have special rules for boni one gets with Stats of 102+. I even seem to remember that we had some RM2 rules (back then in the early 90s) that would lead us to be able to raise our Stats Potential beyond what it was (albeit very slowly and with a lot of luck).

But in my shiny new copy of ChL (RMC), I don't see any laws to that effect (i.e. being able to go beyond 101). Am I missing something?

Bocklin

PS: Have not been playing Rolemaster for close to 20 years now, so it's really amazing that RMC came out right in time when I was tiring of D&D to bring me back to Rolemaster. Have yet to organize a game, but pulling going through the rules once again bring up wonderful memories. Thanks a bunch Ironcrown!!

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Stats of 102+
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:05:16 PM »
Stats of 102 + are for monsters, NPC's, Demi-gods, or other beings that are supposed to be above the norm somehow.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 03:21:37 PM »
According to that table you mentioned, the core rules presume that any and all stats of 102 or higher use the same stat bonuses as indicated in that table for 102+.

Now, some of the later RM2 Companions did extend that and give higher bonuses for higher stats, but those were from an option, not a core rule.

The rules in the RMC Character Law are the same rules as from the RM2 version, just better organized.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 03:57:31 PM »
I found the concepting behind the 102+ stats and powers a bit odd, since the stat itself is subjective.

Like, two characters:

Race A, +40 racial Strength Bonus, 101 Strength.

Race B, -20 racial Strength Bonus, 102 Strength.

The bonus is your actual, usable strength, the temp stat is only useful to compare members of the same race. (Or comparing members of races of the same stat bonus.)

Why A would not get a special ability, but B would, always seemed silly to me. A strong 40' Cyclops is going to be stronger in all ways than the strongest 1' pixie.

On the other hand. . .if you have a total +75 St bonus, that's special superpower enough in my book.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:12:52 PM »
As the perfect example of the strong pixie, we use this innate table as LM says. What matters is the bonus, +35, +40, +45,etc

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 06:05:25 PM »
It might be a house rule or a option or even a combination

BUT I seem to remember something about during stat gain rolls that if your temp had reached your potential then on a roll of 96+ your potential went up by 1. It charge after a while making a 99 into a +1 to both temp and pot and a 100 went +1 temp and +2 pot, though this might have been from companion IV or later
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 06:15:17 PM »
It might be a house rule or a option or even a combination

BUT I seem to remember something about during stat gain rolls that if your temp had reached your potential then on a roll of 96+ your potential went up by 1. It charge after a while making a 99 into a +1 to both temp and pot and a 100 went +1 temp and +2 pot, though this might have been from companion IV or later

That was an option presented in RoCo IV, IIRC.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 06:16:38 PM »
Yes, it was Rolemaster Companion IV, page 28.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 04:53:48 AM »
So, what's the plan here? Are you planning on braking the 102 stat barrier?

Offline bocklin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • You wouldn't want to hurt me, now, would you?
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 06:51:57 AM »

That's what I had in mind. Thanks.

I am just surprised it it is in RMC IV, since RMC III was already offering options for characters with Stats of 102+, but hey... I am happy to see that my memory was not playing tricks on me.

For the time being, I think I'll stick to 101 as upper limit, but wanted to check on this.

Thanks for your replies.

Bocklin

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 01:36:02 AM »
 In an old RM2 game I plsyed in the GM house ruled it was the bonus that gave you the special abilities so +25 stat, +10 race = special ability for stat. It fixes the racial penalties  problem. But again this was a House Rule, you will not find it in the core or the comp. Unless I have missed it in one of the RoCo.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 05:26:58 AM »
In an old RM2 game I plsyed in the GM house ruled it was the bonus that gave you the special abilities so +25 stat, +10 race = special ability for stat. It fixes the racial penalties  problem. But again this was a House Rule, you will not find it in the core or the comp. Unless I have missed it in one of the RoCo.

MDC

You HAVE missed it.
It's in Companion 6, page 30. :)

I use it with the extended stat gain roll from Comp 4 and it works for me.
Then again I never had any problems with high powered PC's in Rolemaster, coz the system is so deadly that no matter how tough the PC's are, a openended roll and a good crit will still take them out :)

I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)