Author Topic: Casting times in RM2/RMC  (Read 6794 times)

Offline Maldroth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Casting times in RM2/RMC
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »
Well this game is only going to be run for a short time its more of a demo game at the LGS. I'm using RMX. Probaly will only be about 6-8 weeks unless folks are really loving the system and their characters and want to continue. The LGS is new so they want different games played.

So knowing that I have to draw players differently than I do for my normal run stuff. Lots of DnDers here and we are trying to tap into that and there is curiosity to try other fantasy games because of the edition change.

Hey I'm trying what I can to draw new players to Rolemaster.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 12:13:24 PM »
My suggestion is to definitely do not remove the casting times then. Use an option that allows for bypassing  them at a small cost, and make sure that they know it is an option. And do explain that while mages tend to be weaker than non-casters at lower levels, that they more than make up for it at higher levels.

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 12:23:53 PM »
Though I do not own RMX, and most likely won’t buy it, it appears that RMX is your best option.  Other than that, using pre-generated characters (and a wide rang of them for versatility), limiting player options (races, professions, backgrounds, which as I understand RMX does), reviewing RMC and outlining what options are being used.  I copied the options that I use to a Word Doc (I own the pdf), and gave it to the PC’s as a handout.  I also write up an outline for character creation. 

Create detailed settings, cultures and have handouts, examples ready.  The worst system in the world (which is not RM) can be overcome with setting.  Have a strong idea of your theme, mood and a good ontological view of the world you create.  I also create a vision statement that outlines the meaning of the story that I want to tell. 

Understand the needs and wants of your players.  Watch the PCs that they create and the motivations of their characters.  Adjust your themes, moods and views according to the players.  Listen as you have with your “Wizard.”  If you have many d20 players, they may not care for RM, and that is ok.  I don’t care for d20 or the New World of Darkness.  This is mostly a matter of taste. 

Lastly, I would still like to know the profession and what lists he knows?
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 04:01:44 PM »
The easiest option may be handing out a stave that gives a bonus to ESF.  I do not recommend a skill that reduces ESF.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 06:45:01 PM »

Most mage/caster PCs in my game usually buy RMC I's Eloquence background option. Spell Store is also a favorite. Also items to haste or learning Adrenal Speed if possible. Else patient PCs...

Ciao,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 08:52:11 AM »
It's also a good idea to look over the lists before making picks, and select at least one list with an instant spell usefull in combat, if at all possible. . .and it's not always an offensive spell. . .shielding your companions from harm, or giveng them bonuses is often a really good deal. If you can't find a decent instant, look for a spell with a long duration.

For essence:

Elemental shields
Rune Mastery (A stored spell gives you one, snap castable spell.)
Spell Wall
Lofty Bridge
Rapid Ways
Spell Reigns (Like Rune Mastery)
Spirit Mastery
Guises
All Monk Base
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 09:04:24 AM »
well, i've never had a game to go high lvls, so maybe that's why this is my suggestion.
I got rid of Classes of spells. Lvls 1-10 take that round to cast, 11-20 two rounds, and 25+ take 3+ rounds. Simple, and I haven't seen it to be unbalancing. Casting a lvl 8 spell that round might seem way powrful, but then, the mage will only get to do it 1-2 times, maybe 3 depending on your power lvl of the game, while melee folks keep getting their +100+ OB each round.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 11:56:20 AM »
I agree completely with Lord Miller.  Low-level spell casters would make choices like that early on.  They would see those spells as merely easier.
Justin,
Back in the day, I ran two games that went quite high in level.  The first one I learned that decisions made to aid anyone early on can (and will) come back to hurt later.  The second game, I did not repeat those errors.   

And, once again I would like to know the profession and lists....
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:40:42 AM by Setorn »
Rev. Scott

Offline Maldroth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2007, 08:26:08 PM »
Setorn,

Sorry for the delay I don't have the character sheets handy but I have a Magician and an Animist. We are using Rolemaster Express for a start to introduce folks to the system. I looked at the spell lists in there and didn't find Spell Store but did find them in Spell Law, so I may have to open those two lists up for the Magician. I know for a fact he spent on Light and Fire Law for sure I know he bought the limit of 5 lists per level. RMX uses the buy by the spell method.

Our second session will be Saturday will probably go better and we have two new players. May just take some time could have been the case of system shock. Like I said figured I'd address my player's concerns and see what we could do for options that are fair.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 09:55:06 PM »
 Another good list is in the Essence Comp which is the Mage Staff list. I do not remember if that is the correct name or not but it could solve some of the mages problems.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 07:57:31 PM »

Maldroth,

I would attempt to get the spell casters up to third as fast as possible.  As I said, I am running my first 1st level game and it is tough even to find creatures that won’t crush them.  The two list chosen do not offer much help either.  Earth Law is a great first level Magician base list due to rope trick, but my magician did not listen and they are about to head into mountains.
Rev. Scott

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2007, 08:39:46 AM »

Maldroth,

I would attempt to get the spell casters up to third as fast as possible.  As I said, I am running my first 1st level game and it is tough even to find creatures that won?t crush them.  The two list chosen do not offer much help either.  Earth Law is a great first level Magician base list due to rope trick, but my magician did not listen and they are about to head into mountains.

Ah, yes....you can lead your players to water, but can you make them think?
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"