Author Topic: Stun  (Read 3034 times)

Offline bunny

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Stun
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:40:24 PM »
Hi - I'm an internet incompetent so search functions are waaaaay beyond me (in case it's been talked about before).

Given stun is such a crucial element in any protracted melee combat, I find the resist stun progression a little silly. Early on, characters have no chance of resisting stun and later it's a breeze whether it's a stun 1 round or a stun 6 round result - there's not much difference in their chance of resisting despite the second being a much more serious result.

I wondered if anyone had tinkered with the RR targets for number of rounds of stun? I have been thinking of using a modification (excuse the complicated formula, but it yields target numbers I think I like...) where the potentially stunned character makes a "RR" and based on the number achieved, reduces the number of rounds according to the clumsy formula of:

90 + [(# of rounds of stun)^2 x 10] this translates as:

100 achieved - reduce stun by 1 round
130 achieved - reduce stun by 2 rounds
180 achieved - reduce stun by 3 rounds
250 achieved - reduce stun by 4 rounds

etcetera

Something like this makes more sense to me - the stun RR process seems a bit all-or-nothing plus by fiddling the numbers, lower level fighters are not doomed with a simple stun 1 round result, yet higher level fighters cant just plough through taking almost critical wounds without blinking.

Has there been any talk about this previously?

Cheers

Offline twistedoliver

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Stun
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 10:20:34 PM »
Hi Bunny,

Here is a link with some more people houseruling stun.  It's a simpler mechanic then yours, and makes it easier to resist as well but I wanted to show some others.

Later,

P.S. searching these forums is pretty easy, but I'll have to explain tomorrow, off to bed.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 01:26:38 PM by twistedoliver, Reason: Correct Spelling »

Dr_Sage

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 07:27:33 PM »
Yes,

the search engine can be your friend. ;)

Here is a good topic:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=4629.0

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:28:56 PM »
To simplify things I did away with the RR vs. Stun mechanic entirely.

>>ReaperWolf

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 08:09:35 AM »
To simplify things I did away with the RR vs. Stun mechanic entirely.
Oh yeah? Interesting - I like simplicity. So does that mean that stun is stun, no means against it? Doesn't that lead to combats where whoever stuns first, wins?

Jan
"What's in the box?" - "Pain."