Author Topic: Mind Seed as a Mind Subversion spell?  (Read 582 times)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Mind Seed as a Mind Subversion spell?
« on: July 25, 2022, 03:11:52 PM »
Here's the Mind Seed entry on d20PFSRD.  It subverts one person's personality into your own.

There isn't an equivalent spell on the Mind Subversion list, but I'd like to know.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Mind Seed as a Mind Subversion spell?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 03:36:47 PM »
About half the description text is rules set specific and requires substantial conversion. Losing levels isn't a RM thing (even those few spells that target "experience" only make it take longer to reach the next level), so I wouldn't use that part of the price when converting to RM. Detailed suggestions would rather depend on which version of RM you are aiming at. Despite the fact that you don't gain direct control, it might fit better on the Mind Domination list. This spell imprints your mind on the target mind, which resembles Mind Domination effects, whereas Mind Subversion effects are generally much more narrowly targeted and unrelated to the caster.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 03:41:39 PM »
I thought it might equal a mind subversion effect.  Ah well, I asked because the Denieth in Sharn had been infiltrated by the Quori, and it was because the house head there was affected by Mind Seed.  I guess the psionic effect would be under Mind Domination, as you said.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 04:35:40 PM »
The target becomes possessed by a new entity which is lower level than the caster, but otherwise has the same mental traits as the caster. That's better than demonic possession, because the possessing entity shares all the objectives and personality of the caster. It's harder to shake than Oppression True. If the target was higher level than (caster level -8), there's a disadvantage because you lose access to their knowledge and power, but you can also pick very low level targets and turn them into highly useful minions.

The negative level is more like a set of penalties, and it's removable (with a 4th level spell), so it's not that much of a check on the power. The main limitation there is that it is a different realm than Mind Seed, so you need an ally, scrolls, potions, magic item, etc.

Seems like a very high level effect. Could be a uniquely researched 50th level spell on Mind Domination, or you could make your own spell list.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 04:43:03 PM »
The target becomes possessed by a new entity which is lower level than the caster, but otherwise has the same mental traits as the caster. That's better than demonic possession, because the possessing entity shares all the objectives and personality of the caster. It's harder to shake than Oppression True. If the target was higher level than (caster level -8), there's a disadvantage because you lose access to their knowledge and power, but you can also pick very low level targets and turn them into highly useful minions.

The negative level is more like a set of penalties, and it's removable (with a 4th level spell), so it's not that much of a check on the power. The main limitation there is that it is a different realm than Mind Seed, so you need an ally, scrolls, potions, magic item, etc.

Seems like a very high level effect. Could be a uniquely researched 50th level spell on Mind Domination, or you could make your own spell list.

Seems I'll be doing that lately.  The Soulknife tp list has to be designed.  And level 50 isn't so bad for Mind Seed.  But assuming that I don't have to make up a new list.  I'll look at the Mind Domination list to see if there is something I don't have to do.