Author Topic: Undoing Mind Subversion spells  (Read 537 times)

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Undoing Mind Subversion spells
« on: July 24, 2022, 08:07:20 PM »
I threw some spells off the Mind Subversion list (RM2 version) at my party last week. I now have one character with Suspicion for 18 days, and one with Trait Subversion III for 5 days. The players are doing amazing jobs of roleplaying this, and the party is very aware something's wrong. So their goal is to get their companions healed, and the only spell that I see to do this is Mind Disease Cures. Given there is an actual Mind Disease list, and that's not what I hit them with, I'm curious what other spells or treatments you would consider allowing to curtail the spell effects before they've run their course.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Undoing Mind Subversion spells
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 11:07:31 PM »
For comparison, RMU says for this list, "The spells on this list should be treated as curses with mental effects." And then the referenced section says "Mental illness due to spells on the Mind Disease and Mind Subversion lists and a few other places may be removed by Mind Disease Cures, Uncurse, or Purge Curse."

More generally (about curses and diseases) it adds "Alternatively, certain diseases may be “healed” by using a healing spell or medical treatment." You could consider these a type of injury to the brain, in which case spells that heal Nerves should apply, you just have to decide the effective severity. But that's a decision about the mechanism. Is the brain physically injured, is there a dark entity whispering in their ear, is there corruption of their spirit or aura, etc? Even in real life we do a poor job of comprehending what is an impairment of the brain itself, what is psychological, and what is both (most things), and that gets even harder to sort out when you add magic to the mix. But you can also think about how easy or hard you want those conditions to be to remove.

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 12:59:05 PM »
One alternative would be the Shaman base list, "Spirit Healing" in RoCo. II. Before you protest how Shamans only deal with Spirits (of the Spirit World), they deal with all spiritual matters and the Purify spirit spell explicitly mentions that it "allows the caster to cleanse one spirit (one of any world, Spirit, dead, or living) of any taint…"
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 01:09:50 PM »
One alternative would be the Shaman base list, "Spirit Healing" in RoCo. II. Before you protest how Shamans only deal with Spirits (of the Spirit World), they deal with all spiritual matters and the Purify spirit spell explicitly mentions that it "allows the caster to cleanse one spirit (one of any world, Spirit, dead, or living) of any taint…"

That's right.  I have Rolemaster Companion 2 with me right now.  And it says that.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 02:31:07 PM »
That makes perfect sense if you want to think of it as a spiritual injury, which seems fitting given that these are evil spells.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 03:41:36 PM »
I am in agreement with OLF and jdale. The listings in the RMU Spell Law are intended and can only be complete with respect to the core spell lists. As RMU gets companion volumes, there will doubtless be notes to indicate various spells require modification of statements in Spell Law. If using the RM2 Shaman, it would be entirely appropriate to allow the appropriate Shaman spell(s) to apply to Mind Subversion spells.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.