Author Topic: Do you use Morale Checks for NPCs?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Do you use Morale Checks for NPCs?
« on: July 20, 2022, 04:18:34 AM »
Do you use Morale Checks for NPCs?

Few people will willingly fight to the death without a reason to do so.
How do you handle NPC morale in combat for Both allies and enemies?
Intelligent enemies are likely to surrender if they are fighting a losing battle or are outnumbered.
Seems like a good role-playing opportunity and a test of your PCs alignment too, will they cut down an unarmed enemy or let them go with a warning?

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Do you use Morale Checks for NPCs?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 05:42:51 AM »
I don't roll. I play it by ear - if it looks like the opposition would break, well, they break, or some of them break and make a run for it while the others look surprised.

If players want to rally their troops, or make a push so the opposition will break, then *they* roll for it.

My current gaming philosophy is that of asymetrical rules: all rolls are on the players' side, the GM does not touch the dice.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 05:56:44 AM »

If players want to rally their troops, or make a push so the opposition will break, then *they* roll for it.

My current gaming philosophy is that of asymetrical rules: all rolls are on the players' side, the GM does not touch the dice.

wow. cool. might have to give that a go as GM.
so the players roll for the NPC enemies?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 09:14:23 AM »
>If players want to rally their troops, or make a push so the opposition will break, then *they* roll for it.

That seems like a good way to put value on Intimidation skill -- it forces a morale check.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Ruffie

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 09:21:52 AM »
I decide as a GM when the enemy has had enough. This al depennds on the type of enemy, the stake they have and the force the PC's bring to the table. If my players indicate that they want to scare off the enemy they can roll for it and I wil take it in considdiration. (Sory for the double or missing letters, my keyboard is frelled)

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 10:01:19 AM »
>If players want to rally their troops, or make a push so the opposition will break, then *they* roll for it.

That seems like a good way to put value on Intimidation skill -- it forces a morale check.
That's what I meant, yes - there is the normal flow of battle (when the GM decides what happens based on situation, wounds and casualties), which might lead to "spontaneous" routs. And then, there are cases where the opponent  would *not* naturally break but the PCs want them to, and in this case, they trigger a situation (intimidation, display of overwhelming strength, illusion of numbers...) and, if a roll is needed, the result of the roll changes the morale state of the opponent.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 10:08:37 AM »

wow. cool. might have to give that a go as GM.
so the players roll for the NPC enemies?
Not exactly. the PCs always roll for their actions. The thing is, every time an enemy NPC acts against a PC, you can transform that action into a PC reaction and, then, make the PC roll for their reaction instead of making the NPC roll for the action :
- NPC casts a spell at PC  ? Make the PC roll for avoidance or resistance.
- NPC attacks the PC physically ? Make the PC roll for defense.
- Contest of skill between PC and NPC ? Make the PC roll and use NPC skill as a basis for difficulty.

And if an NPC acts against another NPC, I don't need to roll dice, I can decide what happens - since the PCs are not involved, I don't need to roll, I just need to come up with something dramatically appropriate (which can be a flurry of near misses).

The basic idea is : if it affects a PC directly, make the player roll for the outcome. If it doesn't, describe what happens without rolling.

On the GM's side of the screen, time and attention are critical resources. The time you spend letting the dice decide for you is time you don't spend describing the situation and reinforcing suspension of disbelief.

To be honest, it is a work in progress for me - decades GMing with symmetrical rule systems make old habits die hard.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 04:51:11 PM »
For animal-intellect NPCs, I start checking around 25% remaining HP to see if they try to flee, if there is opening or opportunity.
For higher intelligence NPCs, I weigh the variables of the situation; crits received, bleeding, remaining HP.
For story line or essential NPCs, it comes down to what the NPC needs to achieve; death at all costs, life is forfeit for failure, don't be taken alive, needs to stay alive to deliver message/item, sniveling coward, sneaky/dirty git, etc.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline EvilWilliam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 08:26:47 AM »
I'm an evil swine who will decide that NPCs who are lightly wounded will surrender rather than die, which leave players (used to stepping over corpses) with a decision to make (although bleed rules often relieve them of the decision).  It's one of the things I find the RM damage system is useful for: why would anyone fight one if they've an injury to their sword arm.

Offline Lazvon

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Tarn in HARP
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 11:34:18 AM »
Oh great... now we have spamming AI Bots to moderate. Grrrr. ;-)
Official comments will be between Moderation and End Moderation. Otherwise comments are personal opinion.

"Knowledge comes from crafted bindings and pages... not ones and zeros." -- Rupert Giles

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2023, 05:00:17 PM »

Just think of it as a Cyberspace LARP.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2023, 12:26:50 PM »
ChatGPT, please generate RM2 rules to handle morale during combat for NPCs.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2023, 08:57:56 AM »
I do use checks for NPCs. There are some good rules for that in RMU too if you haven't seen them yet.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle