Author Topic: Mindlink and Mind Speech (Eberron Conversion)  (Read 746 times)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Mindlink and Mind Speech (Eberron Conversion)
« on: July 09, 2022, 03:19:38 PM »
I'm going to convert the Psionic power mindlink (from the Expanded Psionics Handbook) into a Mentalism spell (of Mentalism), since it's so unique.  Besides, the Kalashtar has the ability to use Mindlink intrinsically.

I looked through the Mentalist Base list Mind Speech for something similar.  Nothing came to mind.

Here's the Power's description, from d20srd.org

Mindlink
Telepathy [Mind-Affecting]
Level:    Telepath 1
Display:    Mental
Manifesting Time:    1 standard action
Range:    Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels); see text
Target:    You and one other willing creature within range that has an Intelligence score of 3 or higher
Duration:    10 min./level
Saving Throw:    None; see text
Power Resistance:    Yes (harmless)
Power Points:    1

You forge a telepathic bond with your target. You can communicate telepathically through the bond even if you do not share a common language. No special power or influence is established as a result of the bond. Once the bond is formed, it works over any distance (although not from one plane to another).
Augment

You can augment this power in one or both of the following ways.

If you spend 4 additional power points, you can attempt to create a telepathic bond with a creature that is not willing (Will save negates).
    For every additional power point you spend, this power can affect an additional target. Any additional target cannot be more than 15 feet from another target of the power.

What level would you say this belongs on Mind Speech?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Mindlink and Mind Speech (Eberron Conversion)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 03:59:27 PM »
Mentalists have Mind Tongue which is similar. The main differences are:

1) Mind Tongue requires concentration and ends without it.

I think changing the spell to 10 min/lvl (C) would be a small boost (+1 level?). 10 min/lvl (without a concentration requirement) is a bigger boost, but given that it only allows communication and nothing else, I don't think a level adjustment of more than +1 or +2 levels is necessary.

2) Mind Tongue has a higher initiation range but is always limited by that range, while Mindlink becomes unlimited after the link is established.

In practice, I don't think there is much of a balance concern here, since you have to start within range. It's a boost but unless you are doing a lot of teleporting it won't be a big one.

3) Mindlink with additional power can create a connection to multiple targets (possibly so they can all communicate together? ambiguous)

That's fun, and I think would work better at the table anyway.

You could replace all the Mind Speech spells -- and maybe Mentalist Tongue too -- with a scalable version. Pick X number of options from this list: 1) communication with non-mentalism realm recipients, 2) increase range (may be selected multiple times), 3) maintain link even if target goes out of range, 4) add one recipient (may be selected multiple times), 5) communication does not require concentration, duration becomes 10 min/lvl.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Mindlink and Mind Speech (Eberron Conversion)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 04:18:06 PM »
Mentalists have Mind Tongue which is similar. The main differences are:

1) Mind Tongue requires concentration and ends without it.

I think changing the spell to 10 min/lvl (C) would be a small boost (+1 level?). 10 min/lvl (without a concentration requirement) is a bigger boost, but given that it only allows communication and nothing else, I don't think a level adjustment of more than +1 or +2 levels is necessary.

2) Mind Tongue has a higher initiation range but is always limited by that range, while Mindlink becomes unlimited after the link is established.

In practice, I don't think there is much of a balance concern here, since you have to start within range. It's a boost but unless you are doing a lot of teleporting it won't be a big one.

3) Mindlink with additional power can create a connection to multiple targets (possibly so they can all communicate together? ambiguous)

That's fun, and I think would work better at the table anyway.

You could replace all the Mind Speech spells -- and maybe Mentalist Tongue too -- with a scalable version. Pick X number of options from this list: 1) communication with non-mentalism realm recipients, 2) increase range (may be selected multiple times), 3) maintain link even if target goes out of range, 4) add one recipient (may be selected multiple times), 5) communication does not require concentration, duration becomes 10 min/lvl.

Mind Tongue was the most similar spell to Mindlink, yeah.  But I thought mindlink could be severed.  I thought that since mindlink could not be severed would be interesting if one of your parents was a Kalashtar.

I was hoping to insert Mindlink into Mind Speech somewhere, but Mind Tongue was something I must have overlooked.  Thank you, jdale.