Author Topic: Channeling Companion: Specialty Priests  (Read 1354 times)

Online EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Channeling Companion: Specialty Priests
« on: June 25, 2022, 02:00:11 PM »
I've been looking at the Channeling Companion today as to see where to convert the clerics of Eberron into Rolemaster specialty priests.

I like the rules for them.  While the Sovereign Host and the Dark Six have good clerics and dark clerics (evil spell lists abound!).  Any how, I think the specialty priest rules are brilliant.  At least for Forgotten Realms (where you have a plethora of deities).  In Eberron, you have some overlap.

Take the Silver Flame for instance.  It might be a light deity (if it weren't for the evil fiend in the flame whispering it's will to its clerics).  But the Kalashtar have a light deity to.  I was thinking of using regular clerics for the Silver Flame, and using the Light specialty priests for the Kalashtar.  At least with the Channeling Companion, you do have to put some thought into how you're using it.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Channeling Companion: Specialty Priests
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 09:49:39 PM »
Something that I think we should have done a better job on is about how to put together a balanced set of Base List's. Most professions don't have six strong lists, however different lists are going to balance differently with different play-styles.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Online EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 01:16:21 PM »
Something that I think we should have done a better job on is about how to put together a balanced set of Base List's. Most professions don't have six strong lists, however different lists are going to balance differently with different play-styles.

Well, what you did was very brilliant.  ;)

Just like the three alchemist professions was also done brilliantly.

Offline Dunadan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 10:09:49 PM »
When I created my campaign pantheon, I used the "Deity Specific Lists" from Spell Law II for the base spell lists for each deity's clerics.  Admittedly, it was a RMC campaign. But I quite like the idea that a Cleric of Light will have a different base spell list to a Cleric of War/Fertility/Healing/etc
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - J. R. R. Tolkien

Online EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 01:59:09 PM »
When I created my campaign pantheon, I used the "Deity Specific Lists" from Spell Law II for the base spell lists for each deity's clerics.  Admittedly, it was a RMC campaign. But I quite like the idea that a Cleric of Light will have a different base spell list to a Cleric of War/Fertility/Healing/etc

So do I.  I wonder if "domains" in D&D 3.x were inspired by Rolemaster.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 07:32:18 PM »

So do I.  I wonder if "domains" in D&D 3.x were inspired by Rolemaster.

AD&D 2e had "spheres", which are the direct ancestors of "domains". If there was influence, it was in the D&D to RM direction.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 09:09:25 PM »

AD&D 2e had "spheres", which are the direct ancestors of "domains". If there was influence, it was in the D&D to RM direction.

Definitely.

It is a good idea though, so I am glad RM pinched it! (In books like the Channeling Companion and in Brian's BASIL lists).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 10:18:54 PM »
A lot of what we consider standard in RPG's traces back to all kinds of mythology and the idea of sphere's is fairly normal for mythology, so I'd chalk it up to great mind think alike just as easily.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss