Author Topic: Rounds required RE casting a spell with Transend Armor?  (Read 1172 times)

Offline C.Tozer

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • youtube.com/@ofhorrorsandheroes
    • Of Horrors & Heroes
Rounds required RE casting a spell with Transend Armor?
« on: February 27, 2022, 09:46:40 PM »
Hello

(a double up of the same question on Facebook too)

A quick coupld of questions RE Transend armor please ... as per Rolemaster Companion II p.41 the skill is described as the following:

"Transcend Armor:
Allows user to attempt to overcome the ESF modifier due to the wearing of armor. A static manoeuvre, if successful allows the user to apply his skill modifier against the penalty incurred by the wearing of armor, including helm."

Is the round required to undertake the Transend Armor static manoeuvre rolled before or after any spell preparation? Does the Transend Armor static manoeuvre require a full round to complete or do you incorporate that into the round of the spell is cast?

How do you use the skill (with RM2/RMC) in your games please?

Thank you

Cheers

Chris
**Interested in some Rolemaster Actual Play Sessions to watch - check out https://www.youtube.com/@ofhorrorsandheroes ***

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rounds required RE casting a spell with Transend Armor?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 11:22:04 AM »
We never charged any activity % for it. It is obviously an incredibly powerful skill, but sooner or later you fail your maneuver and have a massive penalty and are in deep trouble. So it is very much a feast or famine/save or suck type of skill.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 12:09:40 PM »
Both RMSS/RMFRP and RMU just apply your Transcend Armor bonus to offset any penalties for wearing armor. There's no maneuver or roll at all, aside from the spellcasting roll. It's not the same mechanic but it's consistent with the idea that it doesn't take any activity of its own.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline C.Tozer

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • youtube.com/@ofhorrorsandheroes
    • Of Horrors & Heroes
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 06:15:08 PM »
Thanks JDale and Huron too for the feedback - really useful to get different perspectives on how others run the rule.

Both RMSS/RMFRP and RMU just apply your Transcend Armor bonus to offset any penalties for wearing armor. There's no maneuver or roll at all, aside from the spellcasting roll. It's not the same mechanic but it's consistent with the idea that it doesn't take any activity of its own.
**Interested in some Rolemaster Actual Play Sessions to watch - check out https://www.youtube.com/@ofhorrorsandheroes ***

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 07:31:21 AM »
In our RM2/C game we have always just used the total of offset armor/equipment ESF mods
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 07:54:19 AM »

In our RM2/C game we have always just used the total to offset armor/equipment ESF mods. However, now that I read the description in CompII the skill does indeed require a static maneuver roll.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 08:50:39 PM »
Were armor ESF mods ever defined for Arcane magic, or are they not applicable for that realm? I can't seem to find anything about it in the companions.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 09:41:16 PM »
Companion I (p. 4) says that when casting arcane spells, 'the normal Spell Law rules apply (power points, spellcasting, RR's, etc.)', so I guess you could assume the ESF rules are included in the 'etc.' We always did.

We just used the Essence mods in particular for ESF.

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 10:02:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I did see that note in RC1, but I wasn't confident in extending it to ESF without a second opinion.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 08:51:08 AM »
Yeah, you are right that it is odd that this issue is never directly addressed; I even looked through the rules checklist in Companion IV, but didn't see anything about it. So I just assume use Essence mods.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 12:46:21 PM »
Since Arcane is supposed to be the original form of magic, whence the others are derived, I'd rather not apply the ESF mods to Arcane, or use the lesser penalties when there are differences between the three realms (so, no penalties due to armour or equipment, Channeling penalties due to helmet worn, and Mentalism penalties due to free hand status).
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2022, 08:14:21 AM »
Just like all hybrid magic we use the worse modifier for Arcane as it in the fundamental form of Magic. So yes, you better be yelling and waving your hands while being near naked while casting it.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2022, 08:38:06 AM »
Just like all hybrid magic we use the worse modifier for Arcane as it in the fundamental form of Magic.

Yes, that's what I was trying clumsily to get at by saying use Essence penalties, which tend to be the highest

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2022, 03:46:20 PM »
Hmm.  I would use essence penalties as well.