Author Topic: Elemental Traveler/Explorer profession?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline The Chorned Jat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Elemental Traveler/Explorer profession?
« on: February 06, 2022, 07:41:52 PM »
I am curious of anything is known about the Elemental Traveler (once labeled as Explorer instead) referred to in the Training Package costs in Fire & Ice. Has that profession been seen in an errata I am unaware of?

Offline The Chorned Jat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Elemental Traveler/Explorer profession?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 08:39:31 PM »
Haha. Never mind, obviously. Feel free to delete this topic.

Offline The Chorned Jat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 08:59:38 PM »
Well - hold on a sec!
So Elemental Explorer and Elemental Traveler are both listed as professions in the training package of the Addendum. So the mystery deepens!
I'm assuming that (if it wasn't just a matter of settling on a final title for the profession) whatever the distinction between the two was not meaningful enough to keep.
Any explanations or insight if the Traveler was particularly distinct during the process of development?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 09:09:38 PM »
I'm wondering if it might have been inspired by the Astral Traveller profession from RM2's Companion IV (which had spell lists like Elemental Travel and Elemental Summons, and seemed very elemental-focused). The description of the Astral Traveller in Companion IV also specifically refers readers to the (RM2) Elemental Companion for material to supplement the class.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 10:56:10 PM »
Elemental Travels is the name of one of the Elemental Explorer base lists, and Traveler is another. I don't have any inside information but I would not be surprised if Elemental Traveler was an earlier name of the Elemental Explorer profession before they settled on Elemental Explorer.

On the other hand, F&I has TP costs for Elemental Traveler instead of Arcane Elementalist (except Air Mage lists Elemental Explorer and not either of the other two, which seems to support the earlier theory).
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster