Author Topic: exhaustion points  (Read 1005 times)

Offline mrfantastic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
exhaustion points
« on: November 17, 2021, 04:31:51 AM »
hasted character expends exhaustion points (see section 7.2 arms law) at double normal rate.
now problem is :
bog terrain multiply x4
it should be x4 then x2 because in haste or  x4+x2 =x5

which is correct ?
ty in advance :-)

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: exhaustion points
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 03:19:21 PM »
x5.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 11:48:50 AM »
We just flat out did away with exhaustion points after our first campaign and never really noticed any balance issues.

They just were not any fun at all.  We found them fairly absurd in how much different things cost, tracking them was a pain in the ass, and stacking penalties with other ones (like hit loss, and crit penalties) just get out of hand at times.  So, they were a victim to the Fun>Balance>Realism rule.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 12:32:22 PM »
Has anyone converted the fatigue rules from Legend, Runequest or similar to work with RM? I like the idea of including fatigue, but the RM rules have always been too much of a bother, and like Cory we jettisoned them a long time ago.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 12:42:29 PM »
We just flat out did away with exhaustion points after our first campaign and never really noticed any balance issues.

They just were not any fun at all.  We found them fairly absurd in how much different things cost, tracking them was a pain in the ass, and stacking penalties with other ones (like hit loss, and crit penalties) just get out of hand at times.  So, they were a victim to the Fun>Balance>Realism rule.
That. They did not exist in the 1984 edition of ChL&CaL as far as I can see, and we never used them when we switched to RMSS/FRP. I can't say we miss them - long-term fatigue can be played by ear, and short-term is detrimental to speed of play.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 12:56:15 PM »
We never used them in RMSS either. In RMU, I have generally not used fatigue except that fatigue penalties are a possible critical result.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 01:16:37 PM »
We never used them in RMSS either. In RMU, I have generally not used fatigue except that fatigue penalties are a possible critical result.

I like the way RMU deals with fatigue, and do use it even for things beyond critical results. I find it very good for dealing with many things: heat exhaustion; when players want to try to sleep in heavy armor for days on end; when they're slogging through a swamp, etc.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 04:15:08 PM »
I don't track them, in general. I do, however, use them for a few rare home-brew mechanics. For example, my suffocation/drowning rules use CO-based RRs each round. If the RR fails, the margin is subtracted from the character's EP (I always start with those at full.) When they run out of EP, the failure margins come off of a stat, and when a stat reaches 0, they are dead.
Using HP didn't make sense, since a wizard and warrior can drown equally quickly. Doing it this way, the character may need to lay there and recover for a few minutes, if they only lost EP. If they lost stat points, half of that loss requires magical healing, the other half recovers at 5 points/day of rest.

Other than that, if a battle is going on for more than 10-20 rounds (maybe once in my gaming life!) I might start to tally up the EP cost for the fighters.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Rask Tril

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 05:19:15 PM »
We've started a chapter of my/our campaign (I'm the GM and wrote the campaign).  The characters will be travelling in the frigid, wet wilderness while using an ancient map to find a ruins.  The ruins are in an area, but they do not know exactly where the ruins are so they much use survival skills while searching for the ruins.  Against the monsters (two scenarios) are one thing, but another enemy is the weather, shelter, and food.  Exhaustion Points are intrinsic part of this particular chapter.
You may fly over a land forever; you may bomb it, atomize it, pulverize it and wipe it clean of life – but if you desire to defend it, protect it, and keep it for civilization, you must do this on the ground, the way the Roman legions did, by putting your young men into the mud.”
 --T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War:  A Study in Unpreparedness