Author Topic: ERA - Question on Treasure Generator  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Ephraim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA - Question on Treasure Generator
« on: November 26, 2019, 10:12:01 AM »
I'm wondering what the future plans are for the Treasure Generator module?

The reason I'm asking is that it appears that the engine would be useful, requiring only additional tables, to create random generators of just about anything. Perhaps random encounters based upon setting?

I don't want to put too much work into making these tables if the future of this module would prohibit such uses, but don't mind sharing the tables I produce if they are useful. If we can take it in this direction, perhaps a name change would be in order? (from treasure generator to something more generic perhaps?)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: ERA - Question on Treasure Generator
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 11:14:02 AM »
If you're looking for a general purpose tool for creating random tables, that's easy to use and which lets you share tables, I recommend Inspiration Pad Pro, which is free.

You can get it here: https://www.nbos.com/products/inspiration-pad-pro
Discussion forum here: http://forum.nbos.com/categories/inspiration-pad-pro-general
The discussion forum has a bunch of example generators you can download.

I did an NPC generator for RMU: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=18789.0
And herbs: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=18903.msg226535#msg226535
That last link also has some useful notes about installation and making your own tables.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 12:27:53 PM »
Thank you! I'll be modifying the herb one to match the herbs available in RM2. :D
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 04:43:45 PM »
When I had to design the Treasure Generator, I realized that it would be useful for a lot more.
I have no issue with users applying it to whatever tables they want. What you can't do is generate tables (treasures or otherwise) and then distribute the XML files, because that would go against ICE's IP.
If there is interest in using it for something other that treasure, and you have a good working example, and there is no risk of it conflicting with the IP, we can talk about renaming the feature to something more general.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 05:42:38 PM »
I should have asked sooner... are you aware that ERA has a Foraging Module?
Different book packages include herb lists, and you can indicate region, weather, foraging skill and get the result of searching.

Offline Pazuzu

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 01:43:04 PM »
You have done great work with the additional modules for ERA, and most especially with Treasure Companion.

A question that I have, is it possible to use the random treasure generator at the beginning of the process starting from the treasure code (a-z) to generate the entire treasure list that includes items and wealth? Or are we limited to starting at the Item and Wealth tables separately?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 04:30:42 PM »
There's currently no table that converts a treasure letter into the magic and money rolls required.

I just tried playing with the way the tables are interpreted, and it might just be possible.
It would require writing an alternative version of the current initial tables, but it might allow someone to choose the treasure letter instead of the richness and go down that path.

This module is much more versatile than I remembered!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 08:27:04 PM »
It is done. The next update for RMC Treasures and RMFRP Treasure Companion will include the Treasure Code table which will do exactly what you would expect.

Thanks for calling attention to this issue!

Offline Pazuzu

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 08:29:30 PM »
Many thanks.
You do yeoman's work.

Offline Pazuzu

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 11:56:24 AM »
I just downloaded the update, and it works marvelously.
Certainly worthy of the beverage or cookie of your choice.