Author Topic: Vampires and the Like  (Read 4038 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Vampires and the Like
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 08:50:15 PM »
I absolutely loathe all reality TV, especially the exploitive family ones glorifying the worst in America like Boo-boo, the one where they have 20 kids, and Duck Dynasty. Those gross dating shows and 'Housewives' are almost as bad. Don't get me started on the Kardashians. I pity the producers who work long hours for slave wages to edit these shows to make them 'compelling.' I have better things to do than watch these disgusting, no-talent people get a spotlight for misbehaving. In a way these people are vampires, feeding off the attention they get from the audience.  ::)
Agreed. I call them Nero's Fiddle. (I guess more specifically, they would be the gladiatorial games and the bread given the masses, but "Nero's Fiddle" just sounds cooler.  ;))

The only good reality shows are ones like Cosmos or documentaries on the oceans and lands, etc.. because all those so-called "reality" shows are really far from reality.

On a more fun topic, I am totally Team Jacob. Werewolves coming soon!  :D
Agreed. Werewolves are much cooler than vamps.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 04:05:06 AM »
I'm not sure werewolves are cooler; they've just been less abused in fiction recently.

Talking about werewolves, I know they aren't undead, but is lycanthropy widespread on Kulthea or not?
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 08:26:14 AM »
 ;D Were's cannot be cooler as they tend to have all of that hair. ;D

I would have to say that I like both each in there own way as they each can shine in there own way. If you have White Wolfs Story Teller books on them you can see what I mean (I hope) and just were you can take "them" if you start blurring the lines of common thought and wisdom.
MDC

P.S. Maybe that is what Kuthea needs, some type of lycanthropy outbreak.
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 09:15:46 AM »
That's a point - do werewolves overheat easily? Or do they need to pant a lot more?

Kulthea - World War W!

I seem to have a few White Wolf books (or PDFs anyway) but I'm not sure if they're storyteller ones.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 09:43:36 AM »
That's a point - do werewolves overheat easily? Or do they need to pant a lot more?

Kulthea - World War W!

The question is, what full moon makes them change? Does it vary by strain? Or is it the moon(s) at all?  ???
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 10:26:42 AM »
Hmm, if all the moons influenced the change, that would make some very confused werewolves. Perhaps only Orhan, or Charón, depending on the "alignment" of the lycanthropes in question, or maybe it could be linked to the flows of Essænce - maybe changing because of an Essænce Storm.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 10:40:33 AM »
The core system for Werewolf, Vampire, Mage, etc is the Story Teller System. So if you have one of those games then they probably use that system.

As per Shadow World, I have to admit my ignorance as I do not have very many of the books (I think I have 1 or 2) so I do not know a whole bunch about it, just the info I have received based on other GM's using some adventuresses for their home games or letting me borrow and read what they had way back in the mid 90's.
  But if there are multiple moon's then you could do a whole bunch of things as Terry said above, different tribes could be forced to change during different moons, different breeds could be forced to change during different moon or you could do something completely different just for your home game.
  I do not remember a lot about the essence flows, earth nodes and storms but I think I would tie the were's and other creatures to them in some way shape or form. In the WW product were's already need lay-lines and earth nodes to some extent and compete with Mages and Vamp's (to a lesser extent) for them. Were's are also tied to some extent as guardians of the land and that aspect could be exploited as maybe essence storms or earth nodes create such a group or groups.
  Also IIRC there were some very powerful spell lists in RM2's Spell Users Companion for genetic manipulation and maybe someone could use those on a grand scale to create many such creatures.
  The one thing I like about how WW tackles the were's is that they try and force some humanity on "them" and not just portray them as mindless killing machines, the same can be said for Vampires.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 02:01:40 AM »
Just so you know, fur can also be used to keep an animal cool by keeping direct sunlight off their skin and allowing airflow.

But, the coolness factor is a matter of opinion - mine is that were's are.

I think were's in Kulthea are much more specific rather than just a supernatural disease. See Curse of Andaras (spelling?) in the Jaiman sourcebook for an example.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 02:04:04 AM »
I love werewolves but I'm not sure they've been done particularly well recently.

I've recently been toying with an idea around lycanthropy being a blood born disease which doesn't change the form of a person during a full moon but instead reacts to the stage of the moon all the time, increasing the amount of adrenaline in the system so at a full moon the person is stronger, faster and more ferocious than they are during any other period and at the new moon they are just their normal selves. 

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 05:36:56 AM »
I tend to like to think of werewolves more in the skin-changer ideal vs the rage monster or maybe the american Indian version vs the European version.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.