Author Topic: Identifying monsters  (Read 1992 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Identifying monsters
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:37:39 AM »
Many of my players would like some skill to identify monsters.  I was thinking of a monster lore or is there something else already in place.  I know about Undead Lore, Demon Lore and Dragon Lore.  I am thinking of something for say a Manticore and things of that nature.

Any suggestions or the route you use as fellow GM's would be appreciated.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Identifying monsters
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:17:55 AM »
Lore's have been left open for GM's to add to the games. You can just put creature lore in the lore spot like undead lore or spell lore. It should not be a big deal to do such.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:27:44 AM »
As tbigness said, if you are the GM, add whatever lore skill you wish.

For example, although they have been implied in all flavors RM, I have added the lore skills Rune Lore, Symbol Lore, Glyph Lore, and Ward Lore since they operate differently on my new world of Onaviu.

Runes are gravened into items to embed power into them.
Symbols are sculpted into structures, such as a gate's arch/lintel, to embed power into the structure.
Glyphs are used to scribe power onto paper, etc. to store a spell for later quick use since the entire spell except the final word of power is scribed onto the paper and the user need only speak the final word to cast the spell.
Wards are scribed onto a flux to create a temporary ward over an area with the size dictated by the level of the ward scriber.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »
And those glyph, ward, symbol and rune lores are in the aforementioned Essence Compainon!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
Depending on how magical you make your world I would just use fauna lore or if very magical create an mythical monster lore skill.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
Depending on how magical you make your world I would just use fauna lore or if very magical create an mythical monster lore skill.
MDC

+1 monster lore skill.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 02:37:22 PM »
Region lores can also work, especially if monsters are somehow factored into local tales and the like.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 02:39:26 PM »
For regular animals, Fauna lore will suffice. Monster lore would be for more humaniod, magical, or unusual creatures of the planet. Xeno Lore would be other worldly creatures like aliens or space type creatures. This makes more sense to me anyway...

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 05:48:04 PM »
Yeah, I think Fauna Lore would be the most sensible for even a lot of what we'd call "Monsters".  After that it really get into specifics.  I would tend to tell players if something is commonly known of they'll likely be able to identify it (i.e. if there are Ogres and Trolls in the world) even if, for most people, they are scary tales told to keep the children from wondering off too far.  Either the tales were based on some truth or they'll never see the non-existent creature.  You could make it fairly easy and say anything not supernatural is 'normal'.  So Ogres and Trolls would be normal if they are known of and covered under Fauna Lore.

So, what we would term "legends" or stories might tell people what a Manticore is.  It just depends on how well known they would be in your setting.  Aside from that you're wanting information on something that is very unusual or pretty much unheard of... and that's where I'd get into Undead Lore, Demon Lore, Xeno Lores, etc.

Let me give an example, and I"m going to be somewhat vague due to spoilers for possible group members.  Dragons exist in my world.  People know tales are told about them and know what they are supposed to look like, but it's very, very rare that a person would have seen one.  The most educated the individual the more they might believe they actually exist.  So, the knowledge of legends of dragons, and what they look like would cause most of the population to know what they were facing if they actually saw one... but the specifics of them, where they tend to live, how they tend to live, their general traits, etc would be Dragon Lore knowledge.  Their social structure, attitudes/outlook on the world, actual known locations, would be very usual knowledge (i.e. first or second hand direct knowledge).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 05:25:57 AM »
We have not added a general "Monster Lore" skill, since this would make some existing skills, like Dragon Lore obsolete. Instead we added some skills of a bit lower granularity in the Lore Obscure section. It is now possible to learn Giant Races Lore and other Monster Lore-type skills for every monster category in C&M.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »
I appreciate the help with this, so much great knowledge and input.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
To me you will always have a dragon lore, undead lore. So a creature lore would be still needed to encompass something that is not a normal Fauna and not a dragon or undead. It is IMO still a vital skill that would not be cross indexed by the others.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »
Actual skills developed in my games:

Elemental Lore
Fey Lore
Magic Animal Lore
Celestial Being Lore
Aquatic Animal Lore

Either Lore General or Lore Obscure.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.