Author Topic: Harp Revised College of magic Question  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Harp4Ron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Harp Revised College of magic Question
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »
Hello to all;

First I lightly played unrevised harp a few years ago(bought all book and releases), but have not hit it heavy until now....So I bought and downloaded the new revised material. Ok seems the same really no major changes then bam I hit a brick wall when it comes to the mage profession of Harp book, and the Magican of the college of magics....On the subject of Magician’s Versatility here is some questions....please note I was somewhat clear when I read it in Harp book...became confused with lack of information in college of magic and when I searched the forms and got one hit. The said hit sent my mind to jello-ville, So here it is...

1.   Are the magican and the mage two different professions or does the college of magic triumph the other?

2. Magician’s Versatility seems like a quick fix until College of magic was released so does it still apply?

3. Does the Magican in college of magic get the Magician’s Versatility (if the mage is a viable profession and MV is still used)?

4. If the Magican is a stand alone profession and it does not have Magician’s Versatility then is it short changed on professional abilities?

5. When the new spells for Magician’s Versatility are picked do they become Circle of Magery in terms of classification or do they retain the old classification " But the mage can cast them" ?

6. If these questions seem simple please refer back to mind jello statement above!

Thanks to all

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: Harp Revised College of magic Question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 06:27:59 PM »
I seem to remember reading a comment somewhere that the magician profession in CoM was basically just a restatement of the generic Mage from the core book.  So my take on this is that:

1) essentially No.
2) Yes but only to core Mage professions or CoM Magician professions
3) Yes (I am guessing this was an oversight)
4) He would be if that were the case
5) Magician's Versatility only applies to Mage (Great Circle of Magery) spells and the Magestaff spell.   The unaccounted for 6 spells could be new spells created by the mages themselves or other spells from the GM or future products specifically labeled Mage or Circle of Magery spells.  I personally would allow any CoM Great Circle spell (un-italicised on the table 9.2 pg 76) be added to a mages spell list as part of those 6 unaccounted for spells but that may not be as per the rules.
-Pyrotech

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Harp Revised College of magic Question
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 03:58:53 PM »
The Magician is meant to be identical to the Mage - Magician's Versatility was accidentally omitted from the text in CoM when the book was enhanced. The intention is that future products will include additional spells marked for use by the Magician/Mage and that there will be more than enough of these to more than fill the missing Magician sphere slots. If you cannot wait, you can allow Magician PCs to take spells from Elementalist, Necromancer, Thaumaturge or Vivamancer Great Circles at GM discretion.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme