Author Topic: Random Updates from Terry Amthor  (Read 278673 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Random Updates from Terry Amthor
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 07:16:31 AM »
For those of you who might be interested, I uploaded another chapter of a Space Master novella I wrote long ago,

Thanks Terry. I was reading through that story again just the other day and thinking it would be nice if you got around to cleaning up more of it. Hopefully you were reviewing Patrick's history to prepare for putting the final touches on the upcoming Shadowstone Chronicle release. Or maybe you get good stats from your web host and saw someone had been poking around? In either case, it's just what I needed to feed my addiction for Shadow World content until Emer III and the Shadowstone novel are ready.

Heh, thanks but my webhost stats are not page-specific, so I have no idea if someone goes to a particular page. It may have something to do with iWeb, which doesn't seem to want to let web crawlers dig around. I can't complain, it makes it super easy for me to update the site. It only took me a minute to figure out (again) how to upload a simple html chapter of Gods. CHapter 8 is ready and I took a peek at 9. As for why I actually went back to it, I have no idea. My mind is all over the place. As I told my editor, it's theraputic for me to jump from doing workmanlike tasks like page layout to creative writing, to whatever.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 11:27:13 AM »

Quote From PhillipAEllis,

My Favorite ModsTerry K. Amthor with whiskers and cardie,Nicholas Caldwell at tupperware parties,markc delightfully nailing up clods:These are a few of my favorite mods.Colin of ICE varnishing streudels,Marc R extinguishing mozzies on poodles,Defendi delighting in mocking the gods:These are a few of my favorite mods.When the spam rearsFrom the weird shonksWhen I'm needing beersI simply remember my favorite modsAnd then I don't feel so weird!

Very nice. I wish I could just sling that stuff off the top of my head. I also hope I do not have the rep of "... delightfully nailing up clods...", if so I have to do some serious damage control.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 06:00:09 PM »

Quote From PhillipAEllis,

My Favorite ModsTerry K. Amthor with whiskers and cardie,Nicholas Caldwell at tupperware parties,markc delightfully nailing up clods:These are a few of my favorite mods.Colin of ICE varnishing streudels,Marc R extinguishing mozzies on poodles,Defendi delighting in mocking the gods:These are a few of my favorite mods.When the spam rearsFrom the weird shonksWhen I'm needing beersI simply remember my favorite modsAnd then I don't feel so weird!

Very nice. I wish I could just sling that stuff off the top of my head. I also hope I do not have the rep of "... delightfully nailing up clods...", if so I have to do some serious damage control.
MDC

I have to admit, I have no idea what half of that means...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2013, 07:43:53 PM »
I hope this helps:

Terry K. Amthor with whiskers and cardie,
Nicholas Caldwell at tupperware parties,
markc delightfully nailing up clods:
These are a few of my favorite mods.

Colin of ICE varnishing streudels,
Marc R extinguishing mozzies on poodles,
Defendi delighting in mocking the gods:
These are a few of my favorite mods.

When the spam rears
From the weird shonks
When I'm needing beers
I simply remember my favorite mods
And then I don't feel so weird!
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2013, 07:50:14 PM »

Maybe I exaggerate ;)

It's like anything else: it takes practice with a soupcon of ability.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2013, 04:54:52 AM »
A little off-topic...

Now that I have this big 21 oz teapot and loose tea, it's a science/art deciding how much tea, and how big of a batch I want to make at once... (I need a cozy!) and what other tea should I try after Earl Grey and English Breakfast? I'd like a strong black and a nice green... where can I get them online?

I have a feeling that tea might find itself figuring more prominently in future SW books...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »
 I like Gunpowder tea but it is a inexpensive tea compared to others. As to online I think the Republic of Tea is where my mother likes to buy her stuff but when she was a teacher she had students from all over the world bring her tea, which was great as it gave me a chance to try a lot of different types and blends.
 I will talk to her and get back to you where else you can get some good deals on tea.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Vurkanan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2013, 10:01:24 AM »
I'd like a strong black

For a strong black, you could take a look at Assam teas.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2013, 03:28:28 AM »
This is what I do when I am bored. "Ancient Jinteni machine awakens and attacks the party exploring in the City of the Dead. It looks bad, but then Andraax with his power sword arrives. Is it too late?" Okay back to skill stats... (note the maps in the background, yes I am working!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline pondadill

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
I've never been let down by anything Terry's published.  Better, more detailed and far more original, for example, than George Martin's Westeros.  More playable than the D&D Planescape setting, which is, admittedly, also awesome.  Note that Planescape had a whole team and a lot of resources thrown at it--SW was just Terry!  Now for thoughts on the future: I agree that a detailed low-level campaign would be nice.  Quellbourne has a couple of easy adventures that can be woven together by a decent DM for that function.  Also, given proximity to Xa'ar, this could be a good launchpad.  Terry, any chance of a Quellbourne makeover?  Needs color maps, better cover art.  Finishing the Grand Campaign is a great dream, but recognize the challenge there.  Like trying to get George Martin to finish the Song of Ice and Fire series--not in his lifetime.  Thuul after Emer IV totally agreed.  Mulira could be good after that, or the citadel of Ahrentorg.  That's the equivalent of Barad Dur for Shadow World--who wouldn't want to see this?  Also, a switch in emphasis from gazetteer-type supplements to adventures.  These should be designed to take advantage of existing products to help bring them to life for DMs and players.  Involve important personalities of the area, highlight cool local elements and peculiarities, weave the area into larger regional or global events.  I think this would do a lot to add value for DMs particularly. 

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2013, 06:17:37 AM »
Ugh, 4 hours rebuilding the 'Sel-kai City' section of the old Eidolon book for a new edition (of course the one old PageMaker file that was corrupt had to be the largest section of the book!) I ended up having to re-scan some art (and added some newer art as well) anyway. At least all the old layouts were intact. Back to Tanara, then some Shadowstone.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2013, 06:39:50 AM »
 As for Tea I found out that my mother tends to just buy stuff at tea houses, coffee shops and Pier Imports.

I also tend to like white tea which uses immature tea leaves (IIRC) for a unique flavor.

Also as you said above the real trick is finding the right seepage time and temperature for your blend of tea. Some also like a specific cool down period before you drink your cup to get what they say is a perfect taste. I guess I am more of a barbarian and just drink it when I have the time or it is cool enough.
MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2013, 12:22:32 AM »
Final-ish (hopefully) draft of the new Tanara edition back to the editor, with all the RMSS stats...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 02:33:11 AM »
It's official: I have become a tea fiend. My old coffee doesn't taste as good any more but I need the caffeine (and coffee does't seem to upset my stomach like tea can). Need to explore new coffee flavors. Too bad my Tassimo discs are so pricey. --TKA
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2013, 05:07:57 AM »
Tanara is on its way... PDF, as well as perfect bound and hardback options. In the pipeline: Jaiman, Eidolon, Haalkitaine, the Emers...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2013, 07:48:14 AM »
Very nice. 
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2013, 08:00:22 AM »
Terry,
 Did you get some Tea? I ask because I just saw a great Republic of Tea catelog at a friends house.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »
I can't wait to see my perfect-bound and hardback copies of Cloudlords (all have been approved through our printer and proofs are on the way, so should be available soon), after Xa-ar looked so nice! What about you all? Who has gotten Xa-ar? And if you have, please review! Even just a rating helps others make that decision. Do… it.

And along with revisions of many classic SW books, a beautiful new color Emer map is underway, so Emer 1,2,3, (and 4) will all be united with one big map. New Emer Editions 1 and 2 will be color with new art, new adventures and the new SW style. I'm excited to work on revising these books in between some other production work that keeps my InDesign skillz up (and pays the mortgage). 
-- TKA
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2013, 10:50:02 AM »
Been doing lots of InDesign fun, but when taking a break (I can only do table formatting so many hours a day), I've been working on the updates for the older Shadow World reissues: Jaiman, Haalkitaine, Eidolon, Emer I and Emer II. Since Emer III is still in editing, I've been asked to expand the Adventures section, which originally was rather small. Now it looks like there are going to be several fairly detailed adventures, and a quest. Not as extensive as in Xa-ar, but with some details.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »
Been doing lots of InDesign fun, but when taking a break (I can only do table formatting so many hours a day), I've been working on the updates for the older Shadow World reissues: Jaiman, Haalkitaine, Eidolon, Emer I and Emer II. Since Emer III is still in editing, I've been asked to expand the Adventures section, which originally was rather small. Now it looks like there are going to be several fairly detailed adventures, and a quest. Not as extensive as in Xa-ar, but with some details.
I would personally like to see the Cult of the Third Moon adventure expanded, it is one of my favorite and I tend to add in some extra bits, like how the PCs get involved.

For example: One PC, living in the town or village a few days away from Letharnen (I think that is right), has a sister go missing, or a brother turn up dead. Through investigation, they find out that the culprit is a young girl who possesses some unusual powers (she is one of the "elder sisters", one who is powerful & trusted enough to go out into the world and spread the influence of the cult). In the case of a missing boy, they are dead like the others, but a missing girl will have been sent off to the tower for induction into the cult. That is how they get there, with other PCs arriving for other, or similar, reasons if they are not together in the beginning.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.