Author Topic: Transferring Wounds  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Tinimir06

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Transferring Wounds
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:05:29 PM »
When a Healer transfers a wound to himself, does the healer suffer any minuses (to casting the healing spell upon himself) caused by the wound transferred?

For example: the ranger in the party suffers a broken arm and is at -30 to any maneuver.  The healer transfers the broken arm to himself.  Now, is the healer at -30 to casting the mend bone (or whatever the spell is called) to heal his broken arm?  Or is there a "grace" period allowed for the healer to mend the wound before suffering the minuses caused from the transferred wound?

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Transferring Wounds
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 07:12:20 PM »
The penalty would apply, but won't matter if the Healer can cover it through "automatic" casting. It's debatable whether the penalty should apply to subconscious casting.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »
I've always had it that when a wound transfers, all associated penalties and problems transfer with it.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 09:39:38 PM »
I've always had it that when a wound transfers, all associated penalties and problems transfer with it.

Agreed.  Exactly the way I have always handled it.  However, like rdanhenry says, the Healer could have "automatic" contingencies setup for when the transfer occurs.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:56:35 PM »
Concur here too. . .if the healer is trying to "suck it up" and stay awake, they eat the penalty, if they pass out as a result, they'll be ignoring the penalties.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:28:54 AM »
Concur here too. . .if the healer is trying to "suck it up" and stay awake, they eat the penalty, if they pass out as a result, they'll be ignoring the penalties.

Agree.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 07:34:32 AM »
Healer: "OK, guys, now that I've successfully transferred your wounds on me, can someone knock me out so that I can cast my healing spells with higher chances of success?" ;D
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
Adrenal Stabilization (or Healing Trance, but Healer has AS as an Everyman skill) will put you under (as well as give you more time to get the healing done, if the maneuver succeeds).
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 06:09:56 PM »
heh. In RM2, spell casting wasn't a maneuver so it didn't matter if you were at -30.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 12:45:11 PM »
I sense smugness from the RM2 community...:p

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 05:27:07 PM »
Well, so long as the Healer is not casting a spell over his own level, isn't encumbering himself with inappropriate armor (okay, one disadvantage over the RM2 Healer -- no leather helmet), can talk and has a hand free, hasn't used more the 25% of his Power Points (and given how many more he'll have than in RM2, this is about the same point where the RM2 Healer would have had to stop) and isn't trying to cast it in a hurry (no real point unless he swallowed a "you're dead next round" wound), the RMSS Healer also doesn't care about the -30. He just has the usual 2% spell failure rate. In other words, the requirements for "automatic" casting in RMSS are pretty much the same as the limits on casting at all in RM2 core and casting outside those limits is easier than with the RM2 ESF rules (in fact, one of the complaints about RMSS was that it "made overcasting too easy").

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 09:07:14 AM »
Or too enticing.  High modifier spell failures are nasty.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »
Or too enticing.  High modifier spell failures are nasty.

Totally agree.

On a semi-related note...in RMFRP, does the skill Stun Removal get modified by -50?  (Unless, of course, a successful Stunned Maneuvering roll is made?).
ON a semi-semi-related note, if SD is low enough that one's Stunned Maneuvering skill bonus is less than -50, should all stunned maneuvering be made at this lower value?  That is, does Stunned Maneuvering indicate the overall modifier to making stunned maneuvers, or it is a skill itself which requires a maneuver roll which then modifies a subsequent maneuver?