Author Topic: Stupid Spacemaster questions  (Read 1286 times)

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Stupid Spacemaster questions
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »
So, I own the old Spacemaster and also SM:P; I prefer the old Spacemaster because it's basically RM2 and because I loves the Imperium (neither of which is supposed to be a knock on SM:P). However, I have two stupid questions:

1. Am I right that the Imperium is licensed out in a way that means that new ICE won't get it back ever?
2. Will old Spacemanster every, maybe, get the RMC treatment? If I remember rightly, the current old Spacemaster pdfs are just scans (and I assume OBS won't even sell those, or maybe I'm wrong; I think some of the old WotC .pdfs might have just been scans and they were sold there).

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Stupid Spacemaster questions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »
The imperium got SOLD to the company that made Silent Death on line and Dark Age of Camelot.  ICE was essentially dumping balast as hard and fast as they could to avoid bankrupcy for long enough to let said company produce a Not-RM Mporg that would have solved their financial issues and Tolkien Enterprises was trying as hard as they could to kill ICE before that happend.

In any case, some of ICE's older properties are tied up by copyright issues relating to the contracts they had with their writers.  Some of those may clear up in the future now that the old management team is gone as some of those writers were bitter over not getting paid due to the bankrupcy.

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:10:42 PM »
Ah, didn't realise it was actually sold. I guess it might not cost much to get back, but I assume there'd never be enough business from it to even justify that cost.

I assumed that old Spacemaster core was free of the bankruptcy copyright farrago (except for the Imperium) as I thought they were selling scans of the books (but maybe I misremember).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
smug,
 Have you ever considered using Classic Battle Tec with SM2 as your setting? They have loads of material that IMHO would be easy to convert to SM.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 12:15:18 PM »
The SM2 books were on sale in the old store as scan PDFs, so your theory appears plausible.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 12:51:21 PM »
smug,
 Have you ever considered using Classic Battle Tec with SM2 as your setting? They have loads of material that IMHO would be easy to convert to SM.

MDC

I do love BattleTech, I must say, both game and setting (particularly pre-Clans, for Battletech). I have all the old SM stuff -- so, as much Imperium as was put out, I guess (not sure whether there's much new setting detail with Silent Death, mind) -- but really I like the way it integrates with Shadow World because I'm a sucker for that stuff. The Battletech setting comes closest to the Imperium in other respects, even down to both having a shadowy control-of-communications type of group. I also always wanted to run a Mechwarrior/Battletech game, but real life means I have less time now and the game I'd really like to get back into GMing is RM2/SM (I do get to game every week now, DMing Pathfinder and playing Castles and Crusades alternating every two weeks).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:57:43 PM »
  I just wrote up some rules to convert the new CBT to D100 and plan on using SM:P as the rule set but CBT Mec combat and ship combat as the players love the Mec game.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.