Author Topic: An idea  (Read 1547 times)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
An idea
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:05:58 AM »
Based on prior suggestions regarding the creation of new books similar to Tales of the Loremasters that are set in a defined area, and comments in another topic regarding the difficulty in creating new material due to writers' other commitments (like jobs), how about doing something like this:

Decide on an area to be covered
Decide on the total amount of material required, eg 32 or 64 pages
Decide on what material to include in this and its' length, eg 3 one page adventures, 3 three page adventures, 5 locale details, one local organisation details etc.
Post a list of the various jobs required, including design, proofreading, editing and have people apply for them.

It seems to me the greatest need is to create a regular supply of new material. This may be a way of doing it.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: An idea
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »
Even though I do not agree with all of their material Paizo seems to be an extremely successful gaming company at the moment. They have their adventure circles which always contain two adventures, some site description and some other stuff. They publish VERY regularly and even have a subscription model.
This might a model to have a look at.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:12:39 AM »
The Adventure Path series seems to be a monthly 96-page physical book that's available by subscription.

Something like that would be great, but a bit ambitious currently. A bi-monthly pdf of about 32 pages would be nice though.

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 05:22:20 AM »
I fully agree with the idea and this idea has been raised in the past, but the main obstacle is that everything should be approved by TKA to be sure that it's canon.

Honestly, although I appreciate some of the adventures that old ICE publised in the 90's some of them have no SW flavor at all.  :-\

Maybe Nicholas Caldwell could coordinate a group to start and focus in places that have been covered in previous books but adding more details.
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline Mercenary30

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 07:44:59 AM »
I am not going to knock this idea but.......

There is already an avenue for putting out smaller RM and SW items that seems to get very little support......Guild companion's monthly.  Behind that is also the guild adventurers, which seems to be stalled.  If we can put more effort as a community behind those two initiatives, that may go a long way towards proving that the community could support a more aggressive project like you are suggesting.

My two cents.
'I think he just earned his money,' I whispered to the gaping Jad, 'and be so kind as to close your mouth.'  -  Kalen Avanir

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
Well, the Guild Companion is free. It's nice that people are able to contribute to that without expecting anything in return, but that's not always possible, especially at the moment. A definite paid route could increase the number of people able to contribute.

I believe the latest version of TGA is just waiting to be finished off. It could also be easier making a bunch of smaller, SW specific articles, than bigger adventures of the size seen in TGA.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 02:33:01 PM »
TGA#4 is waiting on some Shadow World art and its cover. However the artist in question is also in charge of the layout for HARP SF Xtreme and that has priority.

However I am already gathering scenarios for TGA#5 and other products, so if you would like to write a scenario or a location or something else, whether set in Cyradon, Shadow World, a generic world, or indeed an sf adventure in either the Privateers or Tintamar settings, then please get in touch. In the case of Shadow World, it will be vetted by Terry Amthor for canonical authenticity

My email is director @ guildcompanion dot com

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme