Author Topic: A SW novice in Xa-ar  (Read 1495 times)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A SW novice in Xa-ar
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:39:12 AM »
I'm about to start up a campaign in Xa-ar. It will be our first time playing a SW campaign and I have a few questions for the excellent gentlemen on this forum.

I want the campaign to have much action (fights), and this will obviously be a high magic setting. Also, we play first and foremost to have fun and a good laugh, so I want things to proceed quickly and smoothly. This is a back up campaign, only to be played when the Order of the Main Campaign cannot convene, so we'll not play more than once a month, tops.

- I've got the Xa-ar module and the Master Atlas 4th ed. Do I need any more books? Powers of light and darkness, perhaps?

- I'm thinking level 5 is a good starting level, with a quick advancement. But some of the the adventures seems to be tough. Should one possibly start at level 7?

- Do non-spells users have a harder time in this high magic setting? With all this artifacts, historic events etc Im thinking the players should possibly be adviced not to all play rouges and fighters (which is never a good idea, of course). Any thoughts on profession choices?

- Maps! I'd like more maps! Cities, the regions/kingdoms, what ever!

- Any general advice for a SW/Xa-ar newbie?

Finally, I have had a great time reading up on Kulthea and Jaiman, its history and wonderful characters. Im shure it's tempting to drown the players in information, which is not always conducive to easy playing and having fun. Then again, having a player with sky high history lore skills would be no fun either...

I'm shure I'll come up with a numbe rof Qs later on.

What a great world this is! My thanks to the authors!
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: A SW novice in Xa-ar
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 06:51:05 AM »
Btw, be careful with spoilers. One of the playes will certainly be reading this... ;)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 07:37:41 AM »
The Jaiman module would probably be a good idea for more general information on the area that Xa'ar is in. Also, the Guild Adventurer has a couple of adventures actually in Xa'ar, editions 2 & 3 I think.

Cities, there's Norek (if you can find it) and Haalkitaine. The Grand Campaign also has bits set in Jaiman, plus there's the small download Watchtowers of U-Lyshak and Cloudlords of Tanara for further afield parts of Jaiman.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:27:12 AM »
The Jaiman module would probably be a good idea for more general information on the area that Xa'ar is in. Also, the Guild Adventurer has a couple of adventures actually in Xa'ar, editions 2 & 3 I think.

Cities, there's Norek (if you can find it) and Haalkitaine. The Grand Campaign also has bits set in Jaiman, plus there's the small download Watchtowers of U-Lyshak and Cloudlords of Tanara for further afield parts of Jaiman.

Would you say these are "must have" or "nice to have"? I'm on a limited mental and financial budget...

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 04:01:55 AM »
I'd probably class Jaiman and the two Guild Adventurer adventures as the most important.

The Grand Campaign and Watchtowers of U-Lyshak are both available as free downloads. The GC isn't finished though and is only the first part of the adventure.

Norek, Haalkitaine and Cloudlords are only really if you start going further afield. Perhaps Haalkitaine is the most important for were your setting is.

A couple of things I didn't mention were Quelbourne, again not hugely essential and the Lethys Project.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 04:27:43 AM »
Okay, thanks! I'll look into these!

When you say "Jaiman", you mean Jaiman Land of Twilight, (1989)?

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:00:55 AM »
Yes, that's the one.