Author Topic: Being "in melee" and disengage  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Being "in melee" and disengage
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2010, 10:22:30 AM »
T'was just offering sympathy to providence, and saying that indeed some things can be confusing, especially if someone uses the same word "parry" to mean "actively defending as part of an attack" and "Actively hiding behind your shield and cover while moving randomly to make a harder target". . .as he stated, some of his problems with the rule came from the confusion of using the same term to mean two different things.

The rank one was just one of the worst other examples I could think of off the top of my head . . .which thankfully has been addressed in all versions and revised out of existence. . .but I do understand where he's coming from about how such cross meanings of one word can make reading the rules confusing sometimes.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2010, 10:27:48 AM »
Marc R: Gotcha.

markc: You're probably right about the missile parry and movement.

I don't believe RMFRP does a great job of the distinction/similarity of OB/DB and that it is a roll every time. Or at least they didn't pepper the rules randomly with this knowledge enough for me to absorb it. Other rules are kinda just sprinkled here and there enough so that you might notice. :)

I agree that things can be confusing and have a better lay-out out or organized in a different way. It also does not help when rules are spread over a few books if each book makes small changes here and there to the cbt system.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 01:40:33 PM »
If you want to parry, and use 60% activity for your attack/parry, I would NOT let you parry with full OB and attack at -40. We always apply all modifiers BEFORE parrying, so this would be a parry at -40 and a +0 attack, as I see it. The same goes for basically all modifiers.
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't