Author Topic: HARP/Harn  (Read 3443 times)

Offline farmer

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: HARP/Harn
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 07:27:58 PM »
Just posted this over at Lythia to see if it will attract more attention.

This is what I plan on using!

http://www.lythia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11527

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 07:47:14 PM »
regarding religions of Harn:

Am I the only one who finds the Church of Peoni a little odd?

I find it very unusual that a god of fertility/agriculture would demand celibacy from its priesthood.  :o
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 08:44:06 PM »
Peoni is also the goddess of healing - and according to the HarnWorld material, her priests are celibate...

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 09:31:20 PM »
Peoni is also the goddess of healing - and according to the HarnWorld material, her priests are celibate...

Well, I have to admit that it is odd.  But then again, I didn't make up the setting.
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 01:43:47 AM »
Well I have always found a lot of things very religious people in our world a bit odd or downright stupid.
So I have never reflected over this in the setting, especially since it claims to be gritty with a realistic feel.

But could be an interesting story hook. A faction following Peoni might just as you feel the celibacy doesn't make sense and not agree with this. Ofcourse this would cause an uproar among the followers of the true faith (true in their eyes atleast) without questioning them. Wars have been started over less.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 10:08:10 AM »
This is actually quite simple to explain, it is a concession to the secular powers, because as we all (should) know:

He who controls a society's sexual practices, controls a society.

Not that anyonw has ever gained complete control over an entire society larger than a few hundred people, but when you force it "underground", that is a type of control.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 05:44:30 PM »
By the way....I just ordered Harn World from Columbia Games.  The product description is "Contains two books and a map".  I find this somewhat less than helpful.  What exactly does this product deal with?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »
By the way....I just ordered Harn World from Columbia Games.  The product description is "Contains two books and a map".  I find this somewhat less than helpful.  What exactly does this product deal with?

If it contains the same books that I have in mine (from 10-15 years ago), then it contains the following:

Harndex -- This is basically a small encylopedia/index of things of Harn. It contains entries for the kingdoms, for cities, for creatures, races, barbarian tribes, etc...

HarnWorld -- This book gives an overview of the world in general (Lythia), including the major continent, and then a fairly detailed overview of the Harn itself.

The two books together -- which by the way, are likely to be completely free of system information, provide you with a great deal of information in a relatively compact format. Fantastic!

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 09:23:54 PM »

If it contains the same books that I have in mine (from 10-15 years ago), then it contains the following:

Harndex -- This is basically a small encylopedia/index of things of Harn. It contains entries for the kingdoms, for cities, for creatures, races, barbarian tribes, etc...

HarnWorld -- This book gives an overview of the world in general (Lythia), including the major continent, and then a fairly detailed overview of the Harn itself.

The two books together -- which by the way, are likely to be completely free of system information, provide you with a great deal of information in a relatively compact format. Fantastic!

Yep. Same two books I got.  By the way, Sherem is interpreted by one gamer to be the Forgotten Realms.  Not a bad interpretation really.
:)
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 11:17:07 AM »
Yeah, the Harnworld boxed set is really great and highly useful.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 07:34:45 AM »
Shrek-Pvar:  A harnic mage who can assume the form of a large green ogre with a scottish accent. :Joker2:

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 03:29:57 PM »
(Sound of crickets chirping)  Wow!  Tough room.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 03:32:49 PM »
 :laugh1:

the conspiracy was to NOT laugh at the joke....  ;D

Offline Stormhound

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 12:21:13 AM »
HARP for Harn?  Gee, this takes me back.  About four years, actually.  Looks nice.