Author Topic: tapping power points from willing living subjects  (Read 989 times)

Offline highlander

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
tapping power points from willing living subjects
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »
I was reading a fantasy novel earlier on about a mage tapping mana [power points] from his apprentice, as he had run out, and wondered it it was considered in HARP? I thought maybe a Talent could be made for such a thing with a Re/Sd Maneuver Roll [all or nothing] for success. I would suggest that only those who can access/tap ambient mana, or those who use Natural magic [College of Magics], could possibly do this.
The reason for this is that I am running a high-level campaign and one of the mage characters have exhausted his Power Points [rare, I know].
Maybe the spellcaster could research a new spell: "Tap Power Points".
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Vie Vie La HARP! :D

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: tapping power points from willing living subjects
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:39:49 AM »
Tap Red Mana and the Power Drain spell exist in the Something Wicked manuscript. Email me at editor @ guildcompanion dot com and I'll see what I can do about letting you try these out.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Kasdaye

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:27:11 AM »
We had a similar idea in one of our campaigns. One of our players had a mage who's familiar \ bodyguard was a small mute bald monk. The mage was able to absorb personal mana from him on touch. We gave him a skill in energy absorb [Re\SD] and classed it as an easy magic resistance roll if the participant was willing.

It was also deemed it possible on an unwillling opponent, however we rarely used that as it meant the mage had to make a successful grab on a target and then make a hard magic resistance roll.
"There is nothing to fear but fear itself... and zombies"

"We must fight against apathy!!!... Or not, I don't really care"

"My lady, I'd love to stay and chat, but I fear tequila has gotten the better of me" - Me... Unfortunately

"On my way here I wrote but a single word in my diary. It simply read... Bugger. - Captain Darling

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:01:43 AM »
Personally I like the idea of using Power Projection from Com.

If you have ever used RM then it would work like the Channelling skill.

i.e.
if you want to absorb PP then one person projects then at you and you use Projection to absorb them.
It would be an extremely hard difficulty and each person rolls percentage.

So if one person power projects 100pp and rolls a total of 120 then the percentage is greater than 100 so he sends all 100pp to the other person.

If the other person rolls 75% from a total of his roll, then he only absorbs 75% (i.e. 75pp).

The question remains if the person uses personal mana then he is getting more mana than he is normally able to consume. Should be take 1 Hp for each PP absorbed since his body cant normally absorb or use these extra pp's?

Just throwing it out there...:)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline highlander

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 06:13:54 AM »
Hmm, interesting idea, although I must admit I haven't ever played RM. But I like the idea of the PP overload.
I was thinking more along the lines of a Talent or spell or some sort.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 10:15:41 AM »
Well, there does already exist the Tap Granted Mana which is used for Clerics and the like. Maybe just adapting that to where an individual can grant another individual the ability to tap into their personal mana. Also, as an evil and higher powered ability, an individual may learn to tap others personal mana without their consent. (Which could be the Create Dragon spell in Dark Sun.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.