Author Topic: RMU criticals used for RMSS  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Camel1918

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU criticals used for RMSS
« on: March 04, 2023, 01:18:41 AM »
Would it be possible or would there be any problem in using the RMU criticals for RMSS?
I like the way some of the critical tables work especially the grapple table and I was thinking about using just that one but would there be any reason you couldn't use all of them or at least most of them. I understand the to hit table aren't usable because of AC differences but what about the criticals?

Just wondering what you thought. I'm looking for any feedback you all can give.
I'm still debating on whether to switch over if so it won't be for a while at least until this campaign is over or we have a decent pause after an adventure.

Thanks,
Mark H.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU criticals used for RMSS
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 11:00:59 AM »
The only other thing I can think of that might present a problem would be the fatigue penalties, which I think were handled differently in RMSS?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Camel1918

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 11:47:20 AM »
Thanks Hurin,

I thought that might be the case but since I'm using the new exhaustion as well that might not be a problem. I really like how the new tables are laid out with the different areas. It makes things much easier.
Speaking of exhaustion that was one thing that I never really used. However the new system is very good I think. I like the simplicity of it. However my players are balking on this so I'm not going to press that right now but will test it out with them and ease them into it. I guess well see if it works or not.
Thanks for your quick response

Mark H.

Offline Amano

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 02:36:56 PM »
Unless you are using some kind of piecemeal armour rule, characters will not be penalised for not wearing a helmet. RMU does not (as far as I am aware) have any “if foe has helm then x, if not y” criticals. This could potentially be unbalancing in favour of mentalism users.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 06:09:18 PM »
The old crit charts also wear unbalanced in favor of the 'elemental' criticals. This means using the RMU crits makes magicians somewhat less powerful compared to arms users.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 01:42:51 AM »
Another difference is that the critical tables have staggered and knockback as effects. It should be no difficulty to translate these into RMFRP terms, but it is something that the players will notice if they pay attention. They might also notice they get new critical descriptions instead of the old familiar ones.

From another perspective, we are not speaking about the Armory kind of woes where you had to look at the Armslaw text to determine what the result really meant. There were readability problems with the first RMU version. Now after Ironcrown cleared up the symbols, I think the critical tables have become the most user-friendly ever. I have difficulty seeing why not everyone would prefer to switch to the new critical tables.
/Pa Staav

Offline Camel1918

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 01:59:03 PM »
Just want to say thank you for all your thoughts on the suggestion. As of right now I think I'll be sticking to the older charts because of the program I use but will definitely be using it if I ever go away from the program.