Author Topic: [RMU] Aircraft and flying, done with Treasure Law  (Read 135 times)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
[RMU] Aircraft and flying, done with Treasure Law
« on: May 25, 2024, 03:08:54 AM »
So, my players are approaching a city in a magically advanced kingdom, where it is common to produce, trade and use all kinds of enchanted products. To the point where weapons are usually staffs enchanted with lightning bolt (which are produced in masses, for the king's armed forces, which containt astonishingly few Fighters, but all kinds of more attunement-inclined professions). Selfwinding clockwork tanks using half-boles (enchanted with with fire balls and other area effects) as main guns, Constructs as heavy infantry, Bottomloess Reservoirs for ammunition of repeater crossbows, lightsaber-like blade weapons as a last resort, etc. This is all terribly expensive, but the king and his predecessors have been accumulating this kind of gear for a long time, and attract all kinds of extremely talented and experienced alchemists from all over the world. (I imagine this realm's GDP to be enormous, compared to your typical fantasy nation).

Now, one obvious trope for such societies are aircraft or air travel of some kind (in addition to some enchanted teleportation portals). Which begs the question how they might look like.

A simple approach is to simply enchant a rod (or staff) with Fly I (or Fly II). This would cost something like 390 silver pieces (or 720 for the staff), allow for flights, with recharge cost being 20 for 30 charges (or 28 for the staff, for 100 charges).

For the occiasial Flyer, a Daily Ring of Flight might be a better option. 544 silper pieces for Fly I, or 924 for Fly II.

A more luxurious item would be a Constant Ring of Flight, for 2,090 silver pieces for a Fly I version, or 2,318 for Fly II.

But suppose I do not just want individual flight, but I want to move large amounts of passengers or cargo to unknown locations (so Teleport is out of the question). Many fantasy settings have sky ships. Maybe I am overlooking them, but apart from doing a multicopter design using Perpetual Motion with some kind of transmission to steer, I am not quite seeing a good option for that? The "flying sail ship" trope is apparently not in Treasure Law or Spell Law?

A bild-like Construct with wings might be possible, depending on understanding of flight mechanics. But that would probably be limited in size?

Offline Amano

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: [RMU] Aircraft and flying, done with Treasure Law
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 04:06:06 AM »
If you can neutralise buoyancy with a powerful staying spell you have a sky ship.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 05:40:48 AM »
Ah! That's a neat idea!

The Mentalism spell Staying True allows for 25 kilograms per Level of caster to be neutralized that way. Enchanted by a level 50 Psychographer, a boat could have a total of 1250 kilograms, including payload. That's not much (so not a 500-ton-Skypship), but it's certainly an option. It would then have to be moved by other means, such as wind or air magic. Pure enchantment cost would be either 2112 silver pieces (for 19th level) or 8125 (for 50th level, I am not sure which to apply in such a case).

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 03:41:03 PM »
Automated Vehicle, the level 30 spell from Mechanical Mastery, would allow for a flying vehicle on the basis of more non-magical flight. The spell states that it can substitute for a dozen horses. Assuming this means not peak performance, but long-term performance, that's equivalent to a... well, 12-horse-power engine (though peak performance of a horse is just under 15 hp, we want our aircraft to fly for a long time).

Now, a Fokker E.1 Eindecker from WW1 had a mass of about 560 kilogramms (just over a 1,100 pounds) and had an 80 hp engine, so about six Enchantments. That would be winged flight at about 120 km/h. An example for an early helicopter might be the Sikorsky R-4, with a 185 hp engine (so that would be about 15 enchantments), which had a starting mass of 1,200 kilograms, or 2,500 pounds. So, for much effort, we'd still not get flying ships, but at least small single-seater aircraft. A single enchantment of Automated Vehicle will cost 16,704 silver pieces, though.

A Large construct would be equivalent to these craft in weight. Properly shaped, could it be strong enough to carry a rider or two? It seems so, as per section 5.4 of RMU Treasure Law, which explicitly offers the option of flight for constructs and golems. If I understand the rules correctly, creating a Construct is a simple level 13 enchantment, which would cost 3828 silver pieces to enchant, PLUS the material cost (for good steel, that would be something like 2,500 silver pieces for a 1.25-ton-construct) and the cost of crafting the construct inside and out (the latter should be in the range of 2 sp per working day, I would guess). Certainly a much cheaper option than building an airplane or helicopter as described above, but still not cheap.

RMU Treasure Law hints at another option, though: One that is even cheaper.

On page 23, Table 2-2a: Animals lists, among other things:

"Dracasus 1200 Trained as a mount; takes to combat naturally"

In the beta file of Creature law, the following description is found:

"Dracasus:
Appearing very much like a serpentine Pegasus, a Dracasus has bat wings rather than feathered ones,
scales rather than hair, and a fin rather than a mane. The beast’s tail is very Dragon-like, and the feet are
clawed rather than hoofed. It boasts a 40' wingspan. The Dracasus is a strange creature. It is thought by
some to be a fell beast, and by some to be a demonic Pegasus. The latter seems hardly to be true, as a
Dracasus can be trained to be a fine and noble steed. Like Pegasi, they can make wonderful mounts if
trained properly. As a trained mount it can carry 600 Lbs without penalty, and gives the rider a special
bonus of +10 to all Riding maneuvers. There is said to be a wild herd of fire breathing Dracasus that
dwell on some distant mountain range. The Dracasus is an omnivore, and eats birds, rodents and small
cattle and deer as well as grass, oats and more traditional equine food. It can weather cold climes much
better than most reptiles, often nesting on high rocky spires amid arctic winds. In combat, the Dracasus
swoops down upon its opponents and rams the victim down or slashes with its claws. On the ground, it
tramples foes like a horse after charging. Its bite can also be quite vicious."

So assuming that this animal is typical for flying creatures of rideable size (FCRS?), at least in terms of price, it's certainly a more affordable option than any of the others, while still not being an everyday occurence.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2024, 07:22:08 AM »
Ah, but there is Flying Carpet, the spell (or group of spells) from the Psychographer base list! This is extraordinarily cheap, at material cost for the carpet plus 589  silver pieces for a carpet that can run at 50 feet per round, or about 3 meters per second (about 10 kilometers per hour)! Faster versions do exist, but this is by far the cheapest entry-level aircraft I have found so far!

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2024, 11:34:45 AM »
What especially fascinating about Flying Carpets is:

"The carpet can support up to 100 pounds per square foot of carpet (seating space can also be a limiting factor)"

In other words, about 500 kilograms per square meter, and the carpet's size is NOT limited in any way. So one could indeed weave a carpet 10 meters wide and 100 meters long, and have it carry stuff weighing up to 500 tons!

Would this mean flying ships are basically just flying carpets with wooden attachments?

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2024, 12:24:29 PM »
The size of the flying carpet is limited by the Work Weave spell. The highest level version is Work Weave VI at level 40, producing a 6' x 10' carpet. At 60 square feet, that can carry up to 3 tons (6,000 pounds) but assuming each person needs 2' x 2' space for seating, limited to 15 riders. It's quite a useful transport, but it won't be carrying full ships aloft.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 12:40:07 PM »
Gotcha! That makes total sense. Thanks for that hint. :)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2024, 01:31:01 PM »
Funnily enough, I laughably overestimated the cost for an entry-level Flying Carpet, because I assumed them to be enchanted as Constant items. But that's not true, the spell is enchanted (along with Work Weave) as-is. So the carpet is actually a lot cheaper, with one level 2 and one level 3 spell, for an item level of 3 and 5 days of enchantment required, which translates to 10 silver pieces of wage for the Psychographer (alchemist), plus 15 silver pieces in material cost (correct?). So a cheap Flying Carpet could be as affordable as 25 silver pieces?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2024, 09:17:20 PM »
If you want skyships, I would either do that as ritual or have a custom list, maybe a ship enchantment list? Seems reasonable if your society is basically using magic as technology.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster