Author Topic: what spells would you give the badguy boss?  (Read 781 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
what spells would you give the badguy boss?
« on: October 21, 2022, 12:46:51 PM »
I have two badguy spellcasters. Both are around 15-20th level

Evil Cleric

Evil Magician

What spells would you give them for the final boss fight vs the party?

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: what spells would you give the badguy boss?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 01:11:48 PM »

Evil Cleric

Evil Magician

What, no boss Mentalist?  Evil mentalists are the best villains.

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 01:47:32 PM »
Let me tell you about the best spells!

11. Lost Experience I – Target loses 5% of his collected experience (i.e., experience points).

It's evil mentalist spell list, but hey, it can be fixed

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 04:07:12 PM »
Evil essence lists are mostly about demons...but Darkness has lots of direct combat potential.

Casting Mass Darkvision on the minions before hitting the players with Greater Utterdark is lots of fun. After this, the evil magician can use ordinary Magician spells to hit the players while he watches them trying to deal with minions that can see in Utterdark. 
/Pa Staav

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 04:27:32 PM »
Evil essence lists are mostly about demons...but Darkness has lots of direct combat potential.

Casting Mass Darkvision on the minions before hitting the players with Greater Utterdark is lots of fun. After this, the evil magician can use ordinary Magician spells to hit the players while he watches them trying to deal with minions that can see in Utterdark.
nasty. i love it.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 04:28:28 PM »

Evil Cleric

Evil Magician

What, no boss Mentalist?  Evil mentalists are the best villains.

sure he can be a mentalist or even an archmage.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 05:23:36 PM »
The characters in my campaign are 11th level, and they've only recently been faced by bosses of 14th level or so. And recently they've faced evil clerics, evil magicians, and evil mentalists.
What I found was that it was the lowest level spells that were most effective. Dark Stunning is brutal, and puts a character in a position to whammy with a more powerful spell in the time they're stunned. Suspicion and Trait Subversion can have long term impact on the party, but even in the moment it's cast, Suspicion can make a mess of a battle plan, as the target doubts the intent of allies and begins to deviate.
When the party is resisting well, high level spells can be a risky use of power points. One well chosen low-level spell, cast with no prep, can be attempted several times for the same PP cost.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 05:51:09 PM »
The characters in my campaign are 11th level, and they've only recently been faced by bosses of 14th level or so. And recently they've faced evil clerics, evil magicians, and evil mentalists.
What I found was that it was the lowest level spells that were most effective. Dark Stunning is brutal, and puts a character in a position to whammy with a more powerful spell in the time they're stunned. Suspicion and Trait Subversion can have long term impact on the party, but even in the moment it's cast, Suspicion can make a mess of a battle plan, as the target doubts the intent of allies and begins to deviate.
When the party is resisting well, high level spells can be a risky use of power points. One well chosen low-level spell, cast with no prep, can be attempted several times for the same PP cost.

good tips here. Thanks!