Author Topic: I need some new magic weapons, armour and legendary items for my campaign  (Read 912 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I would like to use a range of custom weapons and items in my campaign and not rely only on items from Creatures & Treasures 1-3.

I need some ideas for a Secret Armoury in the mountains that holds weapons and armour that were created to defeat an army of vampires. Power level is up to 20th level for most items but I also need a handful of legendary items that have virtually no limit to their power.

I'm after Potent and Most Potent Items mostly with a handful of legendary items that would be useful versus Vampires/Undead

These items could be:
Helmets
Shields
Swords/Blades
Bows
Arrows/Bolts
Arn Greaves
Leg Greaves
Hammers
Scrolls/Runes

Unique items could also include things like gloves, boots, necklaces, broaches, bracelets and rings.

Ideas and suggestions welcome. Built in drawbacks to balance some items are fine. So are requirements for high stat scores and attunement checks by the user.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
These are from C&CII

Blade of Light — These High Steel swords give a special bonus
of +15 to their wielder’s OB and deliver double concussion
damage to all opponents. The bonus is +20 versus Undead.

Sword of the Golden Orb — This Bronze shortsword gives a
special bonus of +5 to its wielder’s OB. If the sword is in
direct sunlight the bonus to OB increases to +10 and does
a Heat critical of two levels less severity.

Blade of Warning — These Elven Low Steel b
Holy Morning Star — This Low Steel morning star gives its
wielder a special bonus of +10 tois OB and is treated in all
ways as a Holy weapon. It casts a constant Repel Undead IX.
The shaft is not enchanted.

Blade of Demonslaying — Several of these Mithril blades exist.
They give their wielders a special bonus of +25 to their OB
and are treated as Holy Weapons. The bonus raises to +30
against demons. They deliver Slaying criticals against
demons. Also against demons they also deliver an additional
Cold critical of equal severity to any normally inflicted.

Spirit Slayer — These White Alloy weapons give a special
bonus of +20 to their wielder’s OB. The bonus increases to
+25 versus spritis, spirit demons, & ethereal Undead. They
are highly intelligent and have a constant Detect Evil spell.

Blades of Light — These four artifacts are greatly feared by the
forces of evil. They are made of Low Steel, have a special
bonus of +15 to OB, and do double normal concussion
damage. They all possess the following powers: constant
Mass Utterlight and constant True Aura on their wielder, Holy
Shout (usuable up to three times per day), and creatures of
darkness (GM’s discretion as to what creatures fall within
this category) within 50' are affected by a constant Stun
Song.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
I'm not sure how a weapon that powers up in direct sunlight is helpful when fighting vampires. It provides extra punch when you least need it.
Additional ideas:
Specific to vampire-hunting, how about something that locates vampires? Or you could have a weapon that reveals to the wielder where a vampire's crypt is located when it does a critical.
Protections against vampiric abilities and possibly magic in general.
The X of Holy Light: Light spells cast by the wielder do damage to undead (and possibly demons) as a ball attack using the Shock Bolt table (or something more dangerous if you want to power it up) when they are cast (a constant effect on undead would be another power up, but probably too much unless you anticipate Darkness spells in plentiful response, in which case, it mostly just keeps enemy spell-casters tied up).
The X of Sacred Flame: Fire attacks by the wielder are Slaying against undead (who aren't immune to fire, of course).
Potion of Sanctified Veins: For [duration], the imbiber's blood is poisonous to vampires or other unholy things. Any bite attack that scores a critical on imbiber causes such a creature to suffer an A (Holy ?) critical, unless it is a blood-draining attack, in which case the critical is raised to a C critical. These criticals ignore normal critical reduction effects.
The Staker: A heavy crossbow modified to fire a full-fledged stake, with reduced range, but possibly enchanted with a number of useful abilities.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I'm not sure how a weapon that powers up in direct sunlight is helpful when fighting vampires. It provides extra punch when you least need it.
Additional ideas:
Specific to vampire-hunting, how about something that locates vampires? Or you could have a weapon that reveals to the wielder where a vampire's crypt is located when it does a critical.
The X of Holy Light: Light spells cast by the wielder do damage to undead (and possibly demons) as a ball attack using the Shock Bolt table (or something more dangerous if you want to power it up) when they are cast (a constant effect on undead would be another power up, but probably too much unless you anticipate Darkness spells in plentiful response, in which case, it mostly just keeps enemy spell-casters tied up).
The X of Sacred Flame: Fire attacks by the wielder are Slaying against undead (who aren't immune to fire, of course).
Potion of Sanctified Veins: For [duration], the imbiber's blood is poisonous to vampires or other unholy things. Any bite attack that scores a critical on imbiber causes such a creature to suffer an A (Holy ?) critical, unless it is a blood-draining attack, in which case the critical is raised to a C critical. These criticals ignore normal critical reduction effects.
The Staker: A heavy crossbow modified to fire a full-fledged stake, with reduced range, but possibly enchanted with a number of useful abilities.

Fantastic ideas! Exactly the sort of thing im looking for. Love the potion and staker ideas in particular. Cheers!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Additional ideas:

I had a Vampire Hunter who found a crystal plate that indicated undead within 200ftR.  The GM has since died due to pulmonary cystic fibrosis.  I do not remember where, how, why, when, so don't ask.

adeg
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Instead of the bonus in direct sunlight, the item maintains the bonus for an amount of time equal to the time spent in direct natural sunlight.

Items could have repel undead daily at whatever level needed.

There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
We had an item that stored a Sunfires type effect, but needed to recharge in sunlight. You could have something similar that casts Utterlight or daylight or Dan's holy light effect suggested above or whatever.

At the legendary power level, you could have a lantern that contains a piece of the actual sun, with lenses that control how it shines to get effects of utterlight, daylight, beacons, sunfires, etc.

How about a halo that produces constant utterlight and gives all undead in the radius activity penalties because it is blinding to them?
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
You could have a worn item that causes damage to undead when they contact the wearer.
If you're making something that helps locate undead, it doesn't have to be a weapon. Make it something mundane or more suitable to a non-fighter, so that the spell-casters or rogues/thieves can get in on the fun. A compass, a weather vane you hold up, anything like that - and make them attune to it with Staves/Wands to use it.
Then the extra-damage weapons can bring in the fighters.
The first idea I had was something that creates a hall of mirrors effect. The vampire won't reflect, so only the real one will be visible. But the party will be reflected many times, possibly delaying any damage or other attacks on them.
You could make an item that prevents them changing to gaseous form within a certain radius.
If the vampire is very powerful and has slave vampires, what about an item that blocks that bond or any communication between them?
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
You could have a worn item that causes damage to undead when they contact the wearer.
If you're making something that helps locate undead, it doesn't have to be a weapon. Make it something mundane or more suitable to a non-fighter, so that the spell-casters or rogues/thieves can get in on the fun. A compass, a weather vane you hold up, anything like that - and make them attune to it with Staves/Wands to use it.
Then the extra-damage weapons can bring in the fighters.
The first idea I had was something that creates a hall of mirrors effect. The vampire won't reflect, so only the real one will be visible. But the party will be reflected many times, possibly delaying any damage or other attacks on them.
You could make an item that prevents them changing to gaseous form within a certain radius.
If the vampire is very powerful and has slave vampires, what about an item that blocks that bond or any communication between them?
mirror ideas is cool.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
I won't explain how this plays into my own setting idea, but I have a helm that contains the preserved spirit of a legendary hero that can either force-ably take over the wearer or just help them 'use' his abilities if they are of like mind.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: I need some new magic weapons, armour and legendary items for my campaign
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 02:15:52 AM »
I won't explain how this plays into my own setting idea, but I have a helm that contains the preserved spirit of a legendary hero that can either force-ably take over the wearer or just help them 'use' his abilities if they are of like mind.
Pretty awesome idea. I might steal that one.