Author Topic: What's the longest you've ever played non-stop?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What's the longest you've ever played non-stop?
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:22:08 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what is the longest you've ever played without stopping?

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: What's the longest you've ever played non-stop?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 07:14:37 AM »
Longest single session was about 14 hours (allowing for a 30 minute meal break and the obvious bathroom breaks).  These were the old days and we managed to work through 2 of the Giant series moduies in one sitting and only 1 character death.

Longest campaign was about 4 years and during that time managed to get from level 1 to level 11.  Weekly sessions, but very slow moving campaign, and very stingy DM (it was a AD&D2 campaign).
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 07:40:29 AM »
 The longest was 3 days 2 nights as a Con. We slept at a table of 18 and were woken during out turn. Then the group went out to eat and we divided up into our next games. When they were over we came back to the big game in the common room. I think the last day we just skipped out payed games and played at the big common table as we were having so much fun.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Keen_Man

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
36 hours

6 guys a housewarming party a new cappuccino machine and a game session that ended when the dm could not hold a pencil well enough to write anymore due to the coffee shakes

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 12:17:47 PM »
I have done a 24-hour marathon, it* just gets too wonky after that - unless you then switch to a Paranoia game where you will be in the same frame of mind as your characters.

*By "it" I mean us.  ;D
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »
Without stopping at all (other than answering door - for pizza of course, getting drinks, bathroom, etc), I think it was about 17 hours straight.  And whoever said it, you're right... get starts to get silly at that point.  We have jokes to this day from that session that no one but us understands.  This was during a D&D campaign in the Forgotten Realms that lasted a few years (real time).  We played until about 6am and I had to do Sr pictures (for highschool) that morning.  They had to be retaken.

We've done all weekenders, but slept between the days, so it doesn't really count.  I've done GenCon three times, but for me the whole point of that is to try out different stuff and (the dangerous part) cruise the merchant room - that usually costs me more than the trip itself, which isn't cheap considering I'm coming from Seattle.  So while I'm gaming most the weekend there it's not one long session.  I did do three or four sessions of Run Out The Guns there when it was released, but they were all on different days/time slots.  That has to be my all time favorite event at past GenCons and not just because it was a Rolemaster based event, it was just fun.  Great GM's too.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline KacyCrawford

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 05:04:25 AM »
The longest was 13 hours. :)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 07:04:37 AM »
11am to around 5-7am were common once upon a teenage time.  breakfast at Dennys was always a hoot.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
12-ish hours was about max for us.

I've had campaigns run for 3-4 years more than once, and they were always great fun. We played 2-3 times a week, and both games went to about 25th level (give or take). Had a couple of non-fantasy games that ran for close to 2 years, and those were even funner.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 10:23:29 AM »
Without including the natural breaks such as restroom, eating, et. al., the longest single session we have ever done was about 42 hours one weekend.

Afterward, my wife and I had make sleeping pallets for the players since we did not want them to drive home while that exhausted.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 11:46:45 AM »
In the good old days we once celebrated start of the school vacation by a 24 hr marathon. This session ended in a good heated argument. We did play RM1 already at that time.

The longest campaign I've run lasted 7 years (and still hasn't officially ended!!!) in AD&D2nd and ran the PCs from level 3 to lvl 19. Another I did was maybe 6 years and took the PC from lvl 4 to lvl 24 in D&D 3 and 3.5e.

Now we're back with RM (RMFRP -> RMU) and my current campaign runs now for about 3 years.
Game On!

Offline Ancient of Days

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Move into the Light
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 05:31:09 PM »
back in my early days of naval training in Memphis a group of us got together over new year's eve and played a 52 hour non-stop session at the base e-club. it was old school 1st edition ad&d, 12 players, running through the dragon magazine's nine hells based assault on Asmodeus' tower.

of course by the end we were all mostly drunk and exhausted to the point of silliness, but hey we were all in our late teens and early twenties so we could spare the tick and vinegar ....
Of two equivalent theories or explanations, all other things being equal, the simplest one is to be preferred.

Offline Frabby

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 11:36:03 AM »
I can't recall what the longest single playing session was - there are always breaks for pizza & bathroom, discussion, or even partying. In ye olde days of high school we used to play during the day and party during the night, sleep over at a friend's place, and continue playing the next day.

As for campaign play, we have a massive middle-earth campaign going for ~14 years now. Three main GMs taking turns, each of them with his own master storyline (though they're intertwined), some standalone adventures, and anywhere from 2-8 characters available to each player, sometimes switching characters during an ongoing adventure or playing two or even three at once if the story allows for it. Though we found playing multiple characters at the same time doesn't work very well, and only do this these days if circumstances in the ongoing story demand it.
Needless to say, over 14 years the story has branched off a bit. We've concluded some parts, but the after action reports cover so many characters and areas that it starts reading a bit like the Wheel of Time or Song of Ice and Fire.  :)
We've also created two spinoff campaigns, one switching sides and playing as dunlending/hill man auxiliary forces of Angmar, and one in a more arabian-nights'esque setting in and around Umbar (which doesn't take place in any specific time and may or may not be connected to the main campaign).

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »
Longest Roleplaying was between 14 - 16 hours.
Longest Boardgame around 36 hours with Star Fleet Battles, finally ended when my last two shuttles killed his remaining shuttle, the ships had dies several hours earlier.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 11:50:07 PM »
Star Fleet Battles...Space Opera...Aftermath: games I gladly no longer think about!

Car Wars could go forever too.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
Star Fleet Battles...Space Opera...Aftermath: games I gladly no longer think about!

Car Wars could go forever too.

I don't know about that.  We still play Star Fleet Battles here from time to time.  Had one where we used four hexmaps put together for an all out armada blast between the Klingons, Feds, Romulans, Gorn, Kzinti, and Tholians (with neo ships).  It was hilarious watching how each person was deciding who to go after.  We thought the game lasted forever, but when it was all over, it was 16-17 hours.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »
16-17 hours IS forever imo.  To get a straight 6 hour session now-a-days is a great accomplishment.

Offline KacyCrawford

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 12:47:05 AM »
24 hours