Author Topic: When are development points calculated?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
When are development points calculated?
« on: February 04, 2016, 04:05:39 AM »
Over at the ERA threads, an issue was raised that would benefit from the input of players of all versions of Rolemaster.
In fact, I would need input from every version.

When leveling up, do you get development points based on your stats before or after rolling stat gains?

I was absolutely sure that, since the old days of Middle Earth and RM2, once you reach level N, you should already decide what your training will be for level N+1, so you should decide beforehand, without knowing what skills your future adventures might require.
To avoid that, we usually did not require it but understood that once you reach level N+1, you choose the ranks, but use the development points that would have been available before the stat gains for level N+1.

I know this might sound too complex, so now that I wrote it out, I am thinking maybe this was a house rule that has been in my group for so long that I had forgotten it was not in the RAW.

So, to sum it up, how do you play it? And what is the default in each version?
Thanks!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: When are development points calculated?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 05:21:15 AM »
I've found it.
RM2 Character Law Section 5.3 - Advancing a Level
It specifically states that you roll for stat gains, assign previously trained ranks, then proceed to choose the ranks for the next level.

So we simplified this by allowing you to assign the ranks at level up, but using the development points from the previous level.

After revising RMC and RMFRP books, it seems this rule was removed and simplified to just "roll stat gains, compute new DPs, assign them, go play".

It seems ERA is in for a change in the next version...

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:14:33 AM »
My answer has always been: After Stat Gains.

rmfr

P.S. - Cool you found the answer.
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »
I use a hybrid method.  I have my players roll stats, assign new values for DPs (if changes), and assign the points for skills.  But they need to show how they were working on this over the past level.

-BP

Offline Arc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 06:53:46 PM »
...and I have yet another approach. Gotta love all those house rules... Regretting already asking the question?

I have always thought that the sudden burst of development is a little comical and not at all related to how it actually happens. Therefore, I allow my players to gain development ranks in between levels at times when it is natural that they gain skill and development. So e.g. if they go to Nomikos to study a culture (successfully), they can gain a rank in culture lore on the spot. Also if they defeat a particularly nasty opponent in a swordfight, they might gain a rank in that. These gained ranks become a bit like GM goodies and candy that I give to players for good role playing and successful use of their character's skills. Usually I try to assign half or 2 thirds of the DP's this way. This helps ensure that the players develop the skills that they actually study/use and it smoothens out the development over time. The players can refuse development (but few do). The final DP is based on the N+1 (after stat gain).

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 09:57:18 PM »
Come to the Dark Side. Go level less.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 10:39:13 AM »
I also use the continuous skill purchase after each session. When you level up you update stats and reset the counter so you can buy skills with the lower cost. Works like a charm.

The only thing to be aware of is that players will purchase important skills first so you must assume they have two extra skill ranks in their OB skills etc compared to rules as written, but I don't think that is any major problem.
/Pa Staav

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 08:09:17 PM »
As it is, even though we play almost every week for hours, I always feel that the campaign is advancing too slow. So, purchasing skills after each session, realistic as it may be, would demand too much time that would be taken from adventuring.

Thanks for all the answers anyway, it is always good to know how other groups are tweaking the rules.

For now, I have decided to "fix" ERA for RMC and RMFRP, so that DPs are computed after the stat gains.

The private ruleset my group uses when playing with ERA has been modified so that we can keep using it with the DPs from the previous level, as we do since the times of RM2.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 08:17:39 AM »
What do you mean "calculated"?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 09:04:54 AM »
We use DP from potential stats.
So they are kind of fixed.
We have a rule though that if you roll 100 on your stat gain roll when you level up. You get +1 to porential stat. Above 100 not alloved though.
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)