Author Topic: New Science Fiction Idea  (Read 328 times)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New Science Fiction Idea
« on: March 16, 2024, 09:41:57 AM »
    I had a dream that spawned a science fiction setting idea.  It might work with Spacemaster or with HARP SF (the last I haven't bought yet).

It's set in the Near Future.  Because of foreign attacks, Nuclear War, internal strife, and general malaise -- the United States has broken up into several different political areas.  I decided to focus on the Intermountain West for the setting.  That's Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico.

I dreamed of a certain adventure last night that could work, though.  Here are the basics:
    • Idaho Falls had become the center of a new Idaho Republic.  This republic is looking to extend it's influence into what is left of Washington, Oregon, Utah, and Canada.
    • Salt Lake City was nuked, and is underwater.  As a new Lake Bonneville was created.  Utah is broken up into three political areas.  The Kingdom of Saint George, the Unity of the Uintas, and the Theocracy of Zion (located in Sanpete County).
    • Arizona is divided into five petty kingdoms, the largest of which is the Navajo Reservation.
    • Colorado, Nevada, and Wyoming are vast wildernesses.
  • Montana is now a few kingdoms.
  • California has become a Communist haven.

Well, what do you think so far?

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New Science Fiction Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 01:05:13 PM »
interesting ideas! It sounds like this concept might suit a post-apocalyptic setting like Gamma World. You could draw inspiration from any number of films, a few of them horror themed. radiation and mutations would add some cool elements to your setting. Old school films like Mad Max offer a gritty, barren landscape filled with marauders and sparse supply of resources and weaponry. Add in some AI elements such as from Terminator or the more recent film The Creator and things could get pretty interesting no matter what game system u were using.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 07:43:56 PM »
The Wasteland video games in particular sound very much like this and, to a slightly lesser degree, Fallout 1, 2 and Combat Tactics.
Could be some inspiration there if you try them out.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 06:43:23 PM »
The Wasteland video games in particular sound very much like this and, to a slightly lesser degree, Fallout 1, 2 and Combat Tactics.

I played Fallout 3, I'd like to play Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 08:15:21 PM »

I played Fallout 3, I'd like to play Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4.
I always referred the non-FPS.  Isometric view, turn based combat, much more RPG feel to them and much more tactical. If you just ran in shooting you're going to get your ass handed to you.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss