Forum > ICE News and Discussion

Diary Entry Three: Lots being juggled...

<< < (2/3) > >>

bennis1980:
You could quite liberally include the Authurian Legends into this time frame. The kids would get a kick out of Merlin and Lancelot and co (and Tim the Enchanter of course - "There are some who call me Tim!!", Lightning bolt, Kaboom!!!)

egdcltd:

--- Quote from: VladD on September 24, 2012, 05:54:17 PM ---You say that Europe was far off from their minds, but wasn't this period where the Normans were constantly invading (pretty much Europe banging on the door) right after Alfred the Great had tried to defend England from being overtaken by the Normans and then later on Edmund the Magnificent, who slowly lost what his grand father had preserved, losing it to violent viking dynasties trying to set up in England.

--- End quote ---

Not so much the Normans - they only invaded once in 1066 - but from the 5th century onwards you had Angles and Saxons from the east, Picts and later Scots from the north, Scoti from the west then Vikings, particularly Danes, from the north east.

VladD:
Vikings, normans... Vikings were Normans and Danes on pillaging forays, right? When they settled they became Normans and Danes again...

egdcltd:

--- Quote from: VladD on September 25, 2012, 11:14:16 AM ---Vikings, normans... Vikings were Normans and Danes on pillaging forays, right? When they settled they became Normans and Danes again...

--- End quote ---

The Normans were once Vikings, but they didn't actually become Normans until after they had settled.

VladD:
Dane -> Viking -> Norman , then?

Because all I wanted to point out was that England during the 900's wasn't really thinking about English Faeries...they were preoccupied with either pleasing Norman overlords, or working as soldiers for Norman overlords, or trying to survive in the tiny bit of England that survived, still, against an onslaught of Vikings and Normans.

Perhaps somewhere between 600-700 is a better time for English Faeries, although I suspect the Roman occupation of England was a good time as well!

Btw: I'd be quite interested in reading what you've come up with. Perhaps it would make either a nice historical setting, with some fantasy bits thrown in, as a real product for ICE, or perhaps as a multi part Guild Companion article...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version