Author Topic: Assorted MERP rules questions from a new player  (Read 2784 times)

Offline boggit

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Assorted MERP rules questions from a new player
« on: August 23, 2022, 11:00:36 AM »
Hi again!

I have a few questions about some of the MERP rules that I'm trying to get my head around.

In no particular order:

1. Some undead can inflict CON damage on opponents. Do such opponents get a resistance roll, and is the CON drain permanent? If not permanent, how does one regulate recovery of lost CON points?

2. Some of the critical hits stipulate effects such as "sword arm useless." Does this mean that the sword arm (to use that specific example) is rendered useless permanently, unless healed through casting an appropriate spell or such?

3. It is said in the rules that utility spells require no resistance rolls to use (eg. when casting a healing spell on a wounded comrade). Does that mean that no roll is required for successfully casting such a spell, or does the caster still roll on the base spells attack table, in the appropriate column according to the target's armor, with everything above an "F" indicating success?

Offline foilfodder

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Assorted MERP rules questions from a new player
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 08:54:05 AM »
Hi again!

I have a few questions about some of the MERP rules that I'm trying to get my head around.

In no particular order:

1. Some undead can inflict CON damage on opponents. Do such opponents get a resistance roll, and is the CON drain permanent? If not permanent, how does one regulate recovery of lost CON points?

2. Some of the critical hits stipulate effects such as "sword arm useless." Does this mean that the sword arm (to use that specific example) is rendered useless permanently, unless healed through casting an appropriate spell or such?

3. It is said in the rules that utility spells require no resistance rolls to use (eg. when casting a healing spell on a wounded comrade). Does that mean that no roll is required for successfully casting such a spell, or does the caster still roll on the base spells attack table, in the appropriate column according to the target's armor, with everything above an "F" indicating success?

Hope you are enjoying MERP. I loved the book when I purchased it, unfortunately the book didn't receive much playtime back in the day. Answering your questions:
1) I think Stat drain from Undead is covered in the monster rulebooks rather than the core rulebook. Sadly I do not own a copy of "Creatures s of Middle Earth"
2) Yes, "arm useless" means just that. Sometimes a penalty is given to actions, otherwise GM's discretion is the character automatically falis attempts or not.
3) Spellcasting rolls are always necessary. In Middle Earth using magic is very risky as one can never be sure if the Great Eye is watching....