Forum > Rolemaster

I Can't Help Myself It's A New Edition

(1/8) > >>

David Johansen:
I've moved this rant from the "I Have A Dream" thread because it was out of place on a thread comprised of epigrams and decapitations...

I'd like to see a new edition, not so sure consolidation's the way to go.  Equal?  Nope, not when you put them on a scale.

There are things I think need to be done better than they are done in RMSS.  But many of them aren't done at all in RM2 or are done significantly worse.  I don't see any sense in settling for less.

We're talking about a game with double digit addition and charts as a core mechanic.  That's why HARP will never be a roaring success, there's a dozen games of its complexity level that don't expect the players to add double digit numbers and check a chart.  It is never going to compete with Savage Worlds or Risus in the rules lite department.

What Rolemaster don't need is the game that tries to make everyone happy.  Trying to have two methods of stat bonuses in the core book to make RMSS and RM2 fans happy will make the game more confusing and scary.  The core game needs to be unified in its methods.  Too many options will prevent growth by scaring off casual investigators.  (see case study Traveller the New Era)

Rolemaster's fractured fan base is hurting it in the market place and it hurts ICE because they cut their sales for any product released for any of three different systems.

Any unification will also lose customers but if it's done right it will retain more people who look into it out of curiousity.

I've had a partly finished re-write on my hard drive for a while now.  Maybe I should put it out there for people to pick apart.

Rasyr-Mjolnir:
I have stated in the past that I am in favor of doing a new edition, one that consolidates both systems by including a tiered skill system that allows for simple conversion between few skills and lots of skills (though unlikely as many skills as are currently in RMFRP).

However, before we can do such a revision, ICE needs to recapture the large portion of the fan-base that the old ICE lost when it moved from RM2 to RMSS. And that is where RMC comes in. It is meant to recapture that lost fan-base.

Once we do, then we can look forward to doing a major revision/consolidation.

kasalin:

--- Quote from: Rasyr on February 26, 2008, 01:50:20 PM ---However, before we can do such a revision, ICE needs to recapture the large portion of the fan-base that the old ICE lost when it moved from RM2 to RMSS. And that is where RMC comes in. It is meant to recapture that lost fan-base.

Once we do, then we can look forward to doing a major revision/consolidation.

--- End quote ---

Just curious.

How do you know you're recapturing the lost fan-base?

Rasyr-Mjolnir:

--- Quote from: kasalin on February 26, 2008, 02:42:34 PM ---Just curious.

How do you know you're recapturing the lost fan-base?

--- End quote ---

Sales is a primary indicator. Both online and through/to distributors.

RandalThor:
Well, I for one was not "lost" through the transfer from RM2 to RMSS. A new edition would be just fine by me though, as I am always looking for new ideas in the game department. I will say that these new ideas I am always looking for are more flavor than rules, though. Yes, I know that a rulebooks make more money because they are something that most of the players of a game will tend to buy, while campaign settings and adventures are more limited in their distribution, but I cannot help that - I prefer to get books with excellent maps and descriptions of great places, bunches of NPCs, and adventure plots. Just what I like. (This is the reason that I had a subscription to Pathfinder and Dungeon magazine before that, the quality of the maps and art was just too good to pass up.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version