Forum > RMSS/FRP

Question about Staff Spell.

(1/4) > >>

CertifiedToast:
Me and my GM have been having a discussion about the spell Staff spell from the list Magic Staff located in the Essence companion.

My interpretation of the spell is that when you successfully store the spell into the staff there is no longer a spell casting roll of any kind needed when you wish to use the stored spell.

His interpretation of the spell is that once you have successfully stored your spell into your staff you must still make a roll to cast the spell and it is considered an instant cast.

The wording on the description is pretty vague on that point. All it says is "A stored spell may be cast at any later time with no preparation and does not prevent the caster from casting spells normally."

Posting this to see what other peoples interpretation of the wording is and to get some clarification if possible.

markc:
My interpretations have always been the stored spell is cast as an instant.
MDC

Ynglaur:
I agree with Mark, and interpret it the same way.  The spellcaster is already taking a risk when they put the spell into the staff.  In this, the staff functions similar to Wards, Symbols, Glyphs, and Circles.

arakish:

--- Quote from: markc on September 25, 2013, 07:44:13 AM ---My interpretations have always been the stored spell is cast as an instant.
MDC

--- End quote ---

Another agreement.  However, I also add that if the spell is a level higher than the user, s/he still needs to make a Use Staff Spell roll.  This is the same as the ESF roll determinant.

rmfr

yammahoper:
I consider the spell to act as a key, allowing the spell to be activated by word, action, motion, etc, so it does not resolve as a casting.  The spell will attack at the level of the caster who keyed the spell, but receives no rr mod.  However, since the spell must still be directed at a target, I require 10% activity. 

If you do not track action with % of activity, it would be easiest to consider the stored spells keying as a free action.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version