Author Topic: An Idea (Thread branch from Are 1st levs too weak?)  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
An Idea (Thread branch from Are 1st levs too weak?)
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:57:10 PM »
After reading that particular thread, I have an idea to do a Campaign Scenario for Rolemaster.  I figure it would include adventures that will take characters from level 1 to 7.  Set in the Known Lands my own world.

I wonder what you think 1st level adventures should be.

Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: An Idea (Thread branch from Are 1st levs too weak?)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:21:39 PM »
Some others hit on a few really good points.

Light combat (!)
Give multiple choices that they could handle, some that they might if they work together and are lucky and let them know that some things out there are way beyond their scope!

Guard duty: Caravans always need guards. Sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes a power struggle takes place between the guards/workers. Orcs don't have to attack every time. :D A boxing match to settle disputes could do wonders.

Is the path blocked ahead? No, not orcs; just a few trees struck by lightning-well that's odd; you still have to clear it! If the caravan is delayed bonuses will be hurting.. and everyone will not be smiling at the PC's.

One of the wagons beaks down! The rest can't stop because of deadlines. Move some of cargo to other wagons and guard "Festus" and "Old #7 to the next small town to sell the nonessentials, fix the wagon and join the caravan on the way back.

While helping with one of the above, our 1st lvl guys and gals see a small advanced war party coming out of the mountains. Nearly 1 dozen brigands who also have a wagon (?) are traveling at night. Do they remain focused on their task, or try to follow the brigands?

Somehow, the party finds out that brigands are transporting a covered box or cage inside their covered wagon. Someone notices Runes everywhere like graffiti. They seem to be keeping something contained in the box...

If the party picks the last one.... they'll most likely die! OK, one will live and take some of the characters starting loot to be the 2nd lvl character that another group of 1st lvl characters  rally around... :)

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 04:51:17 AM »
I wonder what you think 1st level adventures should be.

What about some sort of final exam or a competition (or both)?
PCs could be part of a guild or a similar organization (or of more than one) and their first adventure would be demonstrating what they've learned.
They're put together because they must learn the importance of teamwork and must pass a series of tests:
- simple athletic tests
- riddles or puzzles (aided by appropriate lore maneuvers...)
- non lethal combat against other participants

And so on... and in the middle of the competition something could go wrong, they could discover that someone murdered some other participant and took their places. Or they could be accused of doing something and imprisioned/forced to flee. Or maybe both things
So their adventure would begin: they're the only ones who know the truth about the competition. Who could have sabotaged it? And why? How can they clear their names and frame the culprit?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:13:02 AM »
I have used something similar to Arioch's idea of a Final Exam once.  PC's as a ritual of Adulthood have to join the Border Guards for one year.  Border Guards are mostly level 1-3 with Higher levels for Officers and people that stayed on after their year.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 02:47:34 AM »
A scavenger hunt could be interesting even without any serious peril, full of non-lethal challenges and providing a good excuse to introduce aspects of the game world.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 07:37:05 AM »
A scavenger hunt could be interesting even without any serious peril, full of non-lethal challenges and providing a good excuse to introduce aspects of the game world.
That is really a good idea.  Have an idea point.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.