Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Rabenschwinge

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 05:13:56 AM »
Isn't it so that it is more likely a PC is stopped by criticals than by running out of concussion hits? Even an "A" critical can become pretty nasty after all.... and every hundredth A roll is an instance death...
Rabenschwinge:
A good rule I use is to take a routine roll on the skills chart and subtract the modifier from the success number, that will give you the skill level that a PC would need to hold down a job at a entry level.
I did not understand this. What shall I substract rolling on which chart for what kinda check?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:25:41 AM by Rabenschwinge »

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »
The downside is that I am affraid to waste the characters a little too fast, or have to tune so many dice rolls that the players recognize it - it's absolutely bad if the players realize that their GM is protecting them. It's quite an act of balance to let the players feel that they may be killed or crippled by even seemingly little obstacles if they don't watch out (or even if they watch out), but not actually kill or cripple a character - or at least only as often as absolutely necessary to remind them that adventuring is dangerous. Let them definitely know that something terrible might happen at any time, but not actually let it happen...

There is mechanic called Fatepoints from the RMSS/RMFRP edition that solves that problem nicely. If you search on the forum you will find plenty of threads that discuss this and will give you a idea about how the idea can be customized for particular settings.

RM might be too "realistic". The thing I actually want is cinematic. Conan the Barbarian, Excalibur (though I'll never forgive the sex scene in full plate armor), Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings, Beowulf, a few Robin Hood movies, even a few from the less fantasy but more monumental, historical alley like Kingdom of Heaven, The 13th Warrior or Gladiator.

From my point of view it is all about healing rates.
If you give instant healing then the game you running will equal the typical toon-movie when characters are mutilated and healed over and over again.
Change the healing rate to character recovers any damage after a nights sleep and you are pretty close to mainstream superhero comics.
Change the healing rate to that any damage may be fixed if giving medical care and that all penalties are removed if the character get a bit of time to recover their breath and you are pretty close to cinematic style.

In all cases the RM combat system provide you with the tools to have a great action during encounters. How dull is not "you take 8 in damage" compared with "broken arm"...

PS: Soft in soft leather does not mean that it's actually soft as in soft cloth. I think it's still made of several "plates" that partly overlap, just that those are not entirely stiff, but may be bend. The difference is that Hard Leather is entirely stiff, not more flexible than a breastplate, and thicker, but even soft leather has a fair chance stopping a sword strike. The soft is meant relative for armor, not for clothes...

Nope, I work with leather all the time when doing LARP equipment and there is no problem at all with cutting through leather no matter the thickness. If we are speaking about blunt damage it is a different deal, but no soft leather armor will stop a sharp edged weapon.
/Pa Staav

Offline Rabenschwinge

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 12:48:37 PM »
Well, my copy of the RMFRP base rule book was not in the mail today, so I gotta wait. It does sound a lot more appealing than RMC to me in many regards. I am just a little anxious to see what parts of the combat system have been left away... as you say, it's more ... plastic, concrete (or less abstract and vague the other way around) to know that an arm is broke than having lost eight hit points. And therefor it's the more intense experience. (Not quite as intense as actually having an arm broke but I don't wish that to any player, most of the time.  ;D )

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 01:01:59 PM »
Well, my copy of the RMFRP base rule book was not in the mail today, so I gotta wait. It does sound a lot more appealing than RMC to me in many regards. I am just a little anxious to see what parts of the combat system have been left away... as you say, it's more ... plastic, concrete (or less abstract and vague the other way around) to know that an arm is broke than having lost eight hit points. And therefor it's the more intense experience. (Not quite as intense as actually having an arm broke but I don't wish that to any player, most of the time.  ;D )

"...most of the time."

lol
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 07:37:07 PM »
I really enjoy the wealth of options and flexibility of RMFRP. You will definately want Character Law as well though

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 08:41:28 PM »
Rabenschwinge:
 IMO, RM is more cinematic than GURPS do to the fact that PC's can have more HP.

Yes, GURPS is way more deadly than RM, unless you start with a lot of character points.

As Pastaav said to make RM a little more cinematic you can use Fate Points ("quick and dirty" Fate Points rules: every character starts with 2 Fate Points. Players can spend a FP to reroll a critical scored against their character. GM may award other FP when he wants. You may find more detailed rules about them in Channeling Companion).
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »
Isn't it so that it is more likely a PC is stopped by criticals than by running out of concussion hits? Even an "A" critical can become pretty nasty after all.... and every hundredth A roll is an instance death...
Rabenschwinge:
A good rule I use is to take a routine roll on the skills chart and subtract the modifier from the success number, that will give you the skill level that a PC would need to hold down a job at a entry level.
I did not understand this. What shall I substract rolling on which chart for what kinda check?

OK on page 137 of RMC 6501p.pdf it has a chart for Moving Maneuvers. If you look across the top of the chart it gives the difficulty of the task. From the die+skill bonus you need a 41-55 to get 100% success on the skill maneuver. So a fumble is 01-05; so the lowest roll without fumbling is a 6. The person needs a skill of 35 [41-6=35] to be successful on a Routine maneuver.
 So RMC is a bit different than RMSS which I think the skill needs to have value of 50-55. I could be wrong as that is from memory.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 02:43:36 PM »
Just another question: How comes that people in armor are actually easier to hit on the weapon tables? Even if they only take a few concussion hits... shouldn't the lack of mobility already be represented by the Qu malus? If you were armor that does already cause your enemy to score higher than if you were not and you're easier to hit? I don't get that..
Especially soft leather looks a lot more dangerous than there normal cloth equivalents, I compared type 5 and type 1 and while it is a little less dangerous for row 100 in the tables for short swort sword, rapier and scimitar it's the same or even more dangerous in all others..

Grab a stick.
Move around as you swing the stick and try to hit something (anything).
Now put on 5-10 or more pounds of anything and try the same.
See the difference?

If you can, grab a friend, two shinai and spare with each other for a few minutes.
Then have *one* of you put on 5-10 or more pounds of anything and try the same.

You should almost immediately see why *any* armour of almost *any* weight makes you easier to hit.

And yes - those who are more dextrous (aka 'quick') are affected more by that extra weight than those who are not.

That's just the reality of the [real] world.

While there are aspects of Arms Law mechanics/mechanisms I have a hard time accepting, this is one aspect where they 'got it right'.

DonMoody

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »
The downside is that I am affraid to waste the characters a little too fast, or have to tune so many dice rolls that the players recognize it - it's absolutely bad if the players realize that their GM is protecting them. It's quite an act of balance to let the players feel that they may be killed or crippled by even seemingly little obstacles if they don't watch out (or even if they watch out), but not actually kill or cripple a character - or at least only as often as absolutely necessary to remind them that adventuring is dangerous. Let them definitely know that something terrible might happen at any time, but not actually let it happen...

Like others have mentioned 'fate points' work really well.
Here is how we do that aspect:

Each level, a character gets a 'hero point' (aka 'fate point').
[By doing something 'heroic', it is possible to get gain hero points but even then these come in at 1/3 of a point per such an event. It is also possible to gain hero points for successful conclusion of a story arc. This is why we call them 'hero points' - so the PCs can be heroic.]

A hero point can be spent to reroll any die roll - provided it is done *before* another roll of the effect is implemented.

This way, the PCs have some 'insurance' but also know it is very limited (basically, one time per level you can 'be heroic' or 'change fate').
Do I take that critical hit or reroll the attack?
Do I take that critical hit result or reroll that critical hit?

So far, this has worked really well and all the players have that 'concern of death' or 'fear factor' you mention you want "to let the players feel".

DonMoody