Author Topic: Blending systems  (Read 2640 times)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Blending systems
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:58:52 AM »
If you were creating a world setting that would effectively require a blend of RM, SM and Black Ops in order to accurately portray the skills, powers, equipment and technology available, what version would you choose and why?

I want to know because I'm considering such a setting, or rather a timeline-connected series of settings. But at least one setting on that timeline would pretty much have to be a blend of the three.

Thanks,

GOF
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Blending systems
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:00:08 PM »
If you were creating a world setting that would effectively require a blend of RM, SM and Black Ops in order to accurately portray the skills, powers, equipment and technology available, what version would you choose and why?

I want to know because I'm considering such a setting, or rather a timeline-connected series of settings. But at least one setting on that timeline would pretty much have to be a blend of the three.

Thanks,

GOF
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: Blending systems
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 02:29:14 PM »
My guess would be that RMSS with its categories is probably the best option here as you could have skills from RM, SM and Black Ops in one skill category thus enabling characters to develop quite comfortably to survive in that environment.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »
 IMO you could do it with RMC and SM2 or RMSS and SM:P. In general I prefer RMSS and SM:P but that is just me. Another thing to consider IMO is that RM2 has been reclairifed as RMC and maybe [I have no idea if it is] SM2 me be reworked into SMC. Also SW uses some elements of a RM2 and SM2 crossover game so you might want to ask a Q in that section as to how it was achieved.
 Another thing you might want to consider is do you or if you are planing on selling it have all of right books or can they get all the right books. IMO you could use 10MwtD for either RM2 or RMSS, but it does use combined combat tables. Buy that I mean that there is one table for all 1H Edged Weapons and has mods for the type of weapon. I prefer the more of a dedicated combat tables like in Arms Law. Also IMO you may not need to pick up Black OPs for you game as you can model modern settings with SM. But one thing you should pick up if yuo like dedicated combat tables is the AL: Firearms. I use AL:F in my SM game or modern game as again I like the more dedicated table approch to combat.
 On the note of spells and psionics, I give the edge to RMSS and SM:P. That is because in SM:P it uses different game mechanics for psionics and magic. I have most of the SM2 books and every time I look at the psi-skills I have trouble not thinking this looks just like another spell list.
 When compairing Professions I would again give my vote to the RMSS and SM:P line as you can used training packages to simmulate any profession. Where as in RM2 and SM2 you need to define a new profession or job by creating all the skill costs and other stuff.
 I think both systems can be use to create new races and keeps them somewhat balanced. I am much more clear on the RMSS rules in Talent Law and GM Law than the rules for RM2 but I can say that only the GM should craete races as the creation system can be broken if someone trys to.
 On space combat, I give the edge to SM2 because they have the Armored Assault and Star Strike rules available in PDF and I like a more war game approch availavle if I need it. You can use it with SM:P with a little modification as I did with my game.
 One other thing that imporved my fanatasy game and sci-fi game was weapon and hand to hand styles. So in RMC you could use the combat companion and if you have it or find it you could use RMSS Martial Arts Companion. Note you can also use the Combat Companion with RMSS and a little mod to the RMSS rule system that they present in the CC.

Also IMO you could use HARP and HARP-SCI-FI for your game world if you desired as it has all the info you would need.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 03:54:08 PM »
 See my answer under the Rolemaster section.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 04:56:15 PM »
I've always played mixed tec games, even if my players don't always know it.

So I've been using RM2, and SM1 for that for years, add to that some of the sci-fantasy professions in RoCo5? and it becomes very easy.

I think it's because the number of skills are more managable, and the concepts so similar that I've had very little work to do working them together over the years.

The Black Opps thing is more a flavour than a rules issue for me at least, as is gothic horror which also pops into my games...

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold