Author Topic: Poison e Resistance Rolls  (Read 3339 times)

giulio.trimarco

Poison e Resistance Rolls
« on: December 09, 2008, 12:03:23 PM »
When my 20th level PC ingest a 5th level poison, how do I handle RR?

20 vs 5?

Or something else?

In RMC I think that 'Con Stat Bonus / 5 => PC lvl' is ok.

For example, with a CON Stat Bonus of 15 my PC is like a 3rd level against poison.

What do you think?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Poison e Resistance Rolls
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 12:15:10 PM »
Character's Level versus Poison's level.

So, a 20th level character ingesting a 5th level poison would mean that the attacker (on the RR table) is 5th level while the defender is 20th.

And yes, you can always fumble an RR....

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »
Of course, the fact that poiswons and disease are level-based raises other issues (poisons cannot be used to off high-level opponents, whereas in reallity that's the safest way to off the best duellist in the land).

Many people rule that everyone resists agaiunst poisons and disease as 1st level (thus levelling the playing field) ... but Tim's reply is the official statement

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »
When my 20th level PC ingest a 5th level poison, how do I handle RR?

20 vs 5?

Or something else?

In RMC I think that 'Con Stat Bonus / 5 => PC lvl' is ok.

For example, with a CON Stat Bonus of 15 my PC is like a 3rd level against poison.

What do you think?

This is how I handle poisons.

IF a poison enters the system, then the minimal effect of the poison will be suffered, be it by blade, bite or ingestion.  The rr is made to determine if moderate, severe or extreme effects are suffered.

A poison is a biochemical FACT.  All poisons will cause a certain amount of harm.  Some are devestating.  If a player declared he slit his own throat, and assuming the PC makes any Sd roll you might demand, would you roll the crit, or just declare the damage (such as 10 hits a round, heart stops in 12 rounds)?

How any poison is delivered to the system will determine the rr mod assigned;

A crush +20       
B crush +10
C crush +0
D crush -10
E crush -20

A slash -20
B slash -40
C slash -60
D slash -80
E slash -100

A puncture -30
B puncture -60
C puncture -90
D puncture -120
E puncture -150

If a poison is simply eaten, I'd go straight to EXTREME effects.  Constitution wil not protect you from venoms or any other chemical soup.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 03:16:04 PM »
Of course, the fact that poiswons and disease are level-based raises other issues (poisons cannot be used to off high-level opponents, whereas in reallity that's the safest way to off the best duellist in the land).
According to the rules in the C&T, though, level-based ("RR-based") poisons are only a part of the existing poisons, along with the Constitution-based and the luck-based ones.

Constitution wil not protect you from venoms or any other chemical soup.
Against venoms at least, actually it does: people don't react the same to venoms, depending on their constitution. While it doesn't mean a lethal venom would be less lethal, some people would resist it longer; on the contrary, some poisons would cause severe effects on some weak people whereas they'd cause mostly discomfort or pain to others (e.g. wasp sting). As an example, children are often more vulnerable to poisonous bites than adults.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 03:22:04 PM by OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol »
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 03:33:22 PM »
According to the rules in the C&T, though, level-based ("RR-based") poisons are only a part of the existing poisons, along with the Constitution-based and the luck-based ones.

Constitution wil not protect you from venoms or any other chemical soup.
Against venoms at least, actually it does: people don't react the same to venoms, depending on their constitution. While it doesn't mean a lethal venom would be less lethal, some people would resist it longer; on the contrary, some poisons would cause severe effects on some weak people whereas they'd cause mostly discomfort or pain to others (e.g. wasp sting). As an example, children are often more vulnerable to poisonous bites than adults.

True, thanks...err, I was too lazy to include the more specific info.   :-[
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 09:04:13 PM »
"If a poison is simply eaten, I'd go straight to EXTREME effects.  Constitution wil not protect you from venoms or any other chemical soup."

Dont forget that alot of organic poisons that contain complex proteins (such as venom from snakes) will be inactivated in the stomach when ingested

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 01:56:30 AM »
This conversation is proving one thing; there indeed IS an exception to every rule.

;)

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 11:58:21 AM »
This conversation is proving one thing; there indeed IS an exception to every rule.

;)

Are you sure about that?  ;)

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 12:18:45 PM »
Perhaps a nice game mechanic could deal with Co mods determining maximum effect of a poison/venom at light, medium, severe and extreme.  I would prefer default effect, medium, severe and extreme.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »
Personally, I think that poisons in RM just need to move to a CRR type roll/system (CRR = Cascading Resistance Roll), where there is no level, and poisons are basically just given a target number (or several in the case of a CRR) and you must roll higher or be affected.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 01:02:04 PM »
Perhaps a nice game mechanic could deal with Co mods determining maximum effect of a poison/venom at light, medium, severe and extreme.  I would prefer default effect, medium, severe and extreme.
Not sure I understand your comment correctly, but I personally use a (slight) variant to the constitution-based poisons: from the sum of your (RM2) CO stat to the bonus, remove the poison "strength" and apply the result of the constitution-based poisons table. No randomness and your CO determines how severe a given poison affects you.

Personally, I think that poisons in RM just need to move to a CRR type roll/system (CRR = Cascading Resistance Roll), where there is no level, and poisons are basically just given a target number (or several in the case of a CRR) and you must roll higher or be affected.
Isn't that how luck-based poisons work?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:10:40 PM by OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol »
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.